Dating

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laura

Dating

#1 Post by Laura »

Just got braces and am delighted so exciting knowing change is going to happen!!!!

I'm a single girl and just wondering if I will ever get a date for the next 18 months! Did anyone find that braces affected their ability to get dates???

Fireangel

Dating

#2 Post by Fireangel »

Hi I am like you. My husband decided to leave me and cheat on me and I got my braces right after he left. I was unsure about how it would go when I started to meet new people. But so far every guy I have met seems to not care about them and to be truthful I was scared when I kissed the first guy cause I didnt know what would be different with them since I didnt get to test them out on my now ex husband. :lol: Oh well if a guy doesnt want to be with you cause you have braces then you dont need to be with him at all. Hope everything goes well for you. Oh by the way I am 23 so I am not that old. :wink:

Gable74

#3 Post by Gable74 »

Men are simple when it comes to that stuff. Believe me, we dont care if you have braces or not.

Let me see, get a kiss from a girl with braces....or no kiss at all?

Hell, I'll let the dog lick my face sometimes...who am I kidding.

n216

#4 Post by n216 »

i thought that i would have a problem with meeting chicks but i have met alot of girls in the past month and been on a bunch of dates i dont know if my confidence is stronger now but i seem to be meeting more people now but i have ceramic top and bottom so you cant really tell
spacers 9-19-05
braces 9-20-05

Eleni

Re: Dating

#5 Post by Eleni »

Laura wrote:I'm a single girl and just wondering if I will ever get a date for the next 18 months! Did anyone find that braces affected their ability to get dates???
Rest assured, it did not affect it one bit.

Getting dates is based upon you and your attitude, not how much jewelry you wear (even if some of that jewelry sits on your teeth).
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Echo

#6 Post by Echo »

I am 34 and have been married for 15 years. I get more attention now that I have braces than I have since I was a teenager! No one can believe that I am 34. I work in the office at a high school, and more people than you can believe think that I am a student!
[/url]

Shagers

#7 Post by Shagers »

Laura wrote:I'm a single girl and just wondering if I will ever get a date for the next 18 months???
No, because (a) you're probably not from Australia, and (b) if you're like me, it's a given you have spent $$$ on braces so you probably can't afford the flight to Australia to meet me at my favourite resturant, let alone pay for my meal as well... :)
Gable74 wrote:Men are simple when it comes to that stuff. Believe me, we dont care if you have braces or not.

Let me see, get a kiss from a girl with braces....or no kiss at all?

Hell, I'll let the dog lick my face sometimes...who am I kidding.
Hahahaha, that is very funny.

My general experience. Girls have no dramas. If a guy likes you, he likes you, end of story.

Guys trying to attact girls, from my experience, forget it. I'm 29, and I've had braces (metal) for 3 months, and mojo went bye byes. I think it's a self-confidence thing as much as a braces thing, but it's gone. I'm counting the weeks until they come off (no smartie, my braces, not my clothes)...

My experience is that the reality is guys with bad teeth or teeth being repaired is a big turn off, and no matter how funny, smart, interesting, good looking you may be, it's hard to jump that hurdle.

The other reality is though that you will have great looking teeth at the end, and it will be worth it, and it will have a positive effect on your self-esteem and therefore your dating success. I should also point out that doing what I've done in my frappr pic (see http://www.frappr.com/archwiredmembers/photo/458847 (warning: Picture has adult themes)) will *not* increase your success in dating, but it is darn funny just the same. :)

By the way, i'd like to try and add "rich" to the previous sentence of traits you can have which make no difference when you have braces, purely for scientific/research reasons. So, if you've got a million bucks and a Lamborghini you can give me, please email me and I'll post the results in this forum.
Last edited by Shagers on Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shagers - Braced Aug 05
--
Lipton Mr T - finally, a tea for the real man. I pity the coffee drinkin' fool.

Laura

#8 Post by Laura »

All very positive, that's great!!!! I will see how it goes i suppose. Thanks for the replies.

I can't wait to see my teeth startinmg to move!!!

privatepilot

Dates

#9 Post by privatepilot »

Laura, I am in a serious relationship, but I figured when I got these things, guys would run from me. Since I got these on I have been hit on more times than before I had them. I had a guy approach me and was thinking to my self"when I open my mouth to speak this guy's jaw will drop and he will run into the sunset". When I spoke he smiled back-think he liked them. Weird but no one has ran from me yet! Don't let it bother you-men really don't care.
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

Tin Man

#10 Post by Tin Man »

Braces or no braces, confidence is one of the most attractive traits a person can have. Don't let the braces affect your confidence and it won't affect your dating.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Chocoholic

#11 Post by Chocoholic »

Hey Laura, congratulations!

Considering most men don't even notice when a girl has had her hair done, I doubt they're going to make much of a fuss over braces. All the guys I know think braces make a girl look really cute, so don't worry about it at all.

Good luck with your braces journey. :lol:

Gable74

#12 Post by Gable74 »

Lucyloop wrote:...I also think most blokes just tend to focus on the boobs & bum personally! :wink:

LUCY xxx
Yes ma'am, you're correct.
Last edited by Gable74 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dulcinea

#13 Post by Dulcinea »

I don't know about dating, but my husband didn't divorce me when I came home with a metal mouth. He is very excited about me having braces! I have not had any negative reactions at all...and I did have a bit of a "social" experiement. Last month, I went to help with hurricane recovery and didn't wear my wedding ring for fear of losing it. I had plenty of guys talking to me (I told them I was married of course). The point is, I don't think that braces are a social hindrance at all.

Teigyr

#14 Post by Teigyr »

I was as worried as you if not more. I met my boyfriend about two weeks after I got my braces. I was paranoid about spitting when I talked, about eating, and about having them in general. He said (and says) that he noticed them about 30 seconds and that was it. He helps/critiques lig colors, checks for food in them, and is generally supportive.

I will say that since I got the braces, I get more attention! I'm of the attitude that since I can't hide them, I won't even attempt it.

I've learned that kissing doesn't cause any problems and that tequila works wonders when my teeth hurt!!!

good luck but trust me, I think you'll be good.

Jane

giantfigure

#15 Post by giantfigure »

How about a girl dating a guy with braces??? Do girls also like/prefer/do not mind dating boys with braces? :roll:
^^ Top ceramic, Bottom metal
^^ Duration of treatment: 18 months