Spacers & Expanders

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

Spacers & Expanders

#1 Post by ssfw »

I am suppose to get spacers installed about 1 week prior to a party I will be attending. Do you think I should reschedule the spacer appointment to the day after the party? I have read that the spacers can be very uncomfortable and painful and don't really want to take the chance of being in pain on this special day.

How soon will a gap appear once an expander is installed. Does a gap always appear? How soon will the gap close?

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

My spacers weren't that bad after the first 3 or 4 days. You may just not want to try to chew anything really hard. I wouldn't reschedule your appt. You'll probably be fine. If your teeth are a little sore, take some OTC pain reliever before the party.

My daughter's expander gap started to appear after the first week or so. I would think a gap always appears since the expander is widening the palate and creating more room between the teeth, but that's probably a good question for the docs.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Brodie

#3 Post by Brodie »

I had an expander, and right week after SARPE surgery I began cranking that bad boy open. It took like a week, until the gap met my Ortho's needs. The gap is as big as a tooth, but nothing hurt while expanding. I personally have had the gap since Feb, and only a couple weeks ago got on a power chain to start closing it. S0 far the process has been slow but I do see a slight improvement. Rumor has that it takes roughly 2 months to close, but each person is different. Maybe it's just me but nothing has really hurt..I keep expecting pain when I got to the ortho, but nothing.

"Smile Like You Mean It" -The Killers

noppi

Ouchies

#4 Post by noppi »

I got spacers on Friday. Friday was okay. Saturday a little bit more sore. Sunday even more, and today (Monday) has been the sorest so far.
But you probably will be fine if the party is within a day or two of getting spacers. Advil will kick in pretty fast for those days. I notice an effect within 20 minutes. But now, I think I have to up my dosage.

ssfw

Re: Ouchies

#5 Post by ssfw »

Noppi, thanks for the info.

I hope you are feeling better.

My spacers appt. is scheduled 1 week prior to the party. Can you let me know how you feel after 1 week?

SSFW

noppi wrote:I got spacers on Friday. Friday was okay. Saturday a little bit more sore. Sunday even more, and today (Monday) has been the sorest so far.
But you probably will be fine if the party is within a day or two of getting spacers. Advil will kick in pretty fast for those days. I notice an effect within 20 minutes. But now, I think I have to up my dosage.

Painfulvanity

Spacers and party

#6 Post by Painfulvanity »

Spacers were very painful for me for several days. My teeth are tight so there wasn't a lot of room so maybe it was worse for me. They were a constant distraction for at least a few days if not longer but it did get better.

It could interfere with your having fun at the party so given my experience I would not have wanted them in at a party.

Good luck!

noppi

Better today

#7 Post by noppi »

Today is Day 5 of spacers. It's a lot more bearable than yesterday but I still feel a pulsating in my gums. I guess that's throbbing or something. Just annoying. Not really pain though. Eating is still a lil tough. I think it really depends on your teeth. My teeth are pretty nicely packed, wasn't really crowded, but not ample space either. My two front teeth are kind of tight to begin with, with the two teeth next to it. I feel a lot of irritation there because the spacers are pushing my teeth forward, but there's no where to go. =( I want to get them off soon. They're getting pretty annoying...Monday...Monday...
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

ssfw

Re: Spacers and party

#8 Post by ssfw »

Thanks for the info. I hope you are feeling better and not in much discomfort.

ssfw
Painfulvanity wrote:Spacers were very painful for me for several days. My teeth are tight so there wasn't a lot of room so maybe it was worse for me. They were a constant distraction for at least a few days if not longer but it did get better.

It could interfere with your having fun at the party so given my experience I would not have wanted them in at a party.

Good luck!

Gel

#9 Post by Gel »

I would definately reschedule. I thought my extractions hurt, but the spacers make them feel like a day in the park!

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

Jodster

#10 Post by Jodster »

Honestly, spacers are a breeze!! I had them for a week at a time twice, since I had bottoms and tops put on at different time. They just feel like you have something stuck between your teeth (and no, not like a log is between them--just a piece of steak). And I had tight spaces, so they had to really stretch to get them in place.
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!

kkalex

#11 Post by kkalex »

I didn't think that they hurt at all, but i guess it depends on your individual case. Mine didn't hurt at all until i tried to eat about 5 mins after i got them in. Then it was only a little sore. Now i am on day 5 (get them out 2morrow) and i still have no pain. i dont see whats so bad abt them.