Need Sympathy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gel

Need Sympathy

#1 Post by Gel »

Hey everyone,
I got my four 2nd premolars out yesterday, and I am in pain. My husband has been the biggest sweetheart, but I don't think he understands what i'm going through. My dentist was great with the extractions and all, and he gave me a perscription that made me so ill, I threw up three times in 15 minutes. It was not a fun not. Then to make things worse, I am taking a class to learn how to teach physical education and I got hit in the head with a volleyball. I started to bleed all over again. :? My dentist told me I would be fine to go to all my classes today, but I don't think he wanted that to happed. I stopped taking the meds after one and switched to ibuprofen, it has helped a little, but I'm still in pain. Not the best experience, but everyone I've talked to said that the spacers are worse. I think that this was worse than my bottom two wisdom teeth. What have I gotten myself into? I'm not going to back out though, I wouldn't be able to stand having these gaps in my mouth premanently. I can barely get any solid food down and I hate jello. Will it get better? let's hope so! :roll:

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

Gel, I'm so sorry you feel so bad! :cry: I really do hope you feel better soon! I had six teeth pulled not too long ago and I was in pain too! It does get better! I would try eating some broth or soup, mashed potatoes, and other soft foods. Spacers do hurt but not for too long! I only had mine in for 4 days I think. Things will get better!
Good luck! :thumbsup:
Hope you feel better soon! :pinkbraces:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

serendipity

#3 Post by serendipity »

Poor thing :cry: - chin up, the actual braces will be a breeze for you after this. Keep your eyes on the prize - It will all be worth it in the end. :D
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

butterfly

#4 Post by butterfly »

Image uh oh doesn't sound so nice. But one thing is sure: Braces are nothing compared to that!!
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

It will get better.

:flowerbloom:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

summergirl

#6 Post by summergirl »

you poor thing Gel ,Did you try warm salt water it helps to heal faster also makes your mouth feel better to. I can feel your pain many years ago I had my one back tooth pulled by my local dentist should have sent my to a surgon but did not..I was it pain for weeks also got an infection I will never never forget ever.I also threw up because of pain pills no fun at all some of use just can't take that stuff.Now after all those years I am getting braces right now I am wearing a mouth piece to expand my top jaw not fun I can't talk ,just starting to eat spacers are nothing compared to this thing .When I am done with these I am going to ask the ortho for them.Yes when I am done with this 1 I get to wear another one for 2-3 months .sometime in Feb I get my braces on ,that should be a breeze compared to this ..I am hopefull this will and do get better .

Eat chicken broth ,mashed potatoes ,meatloaf ,pastas not sauce butter till you are healed .
Jan :lol:

Al Carter

#7 Post by Al Carter »

Gel - I agree that luke warm salty water is the ebst thing for healing your gums. Your mouth will thank you for it. It provides great relief.

if you're feeling so bad - do what I do - take to your sofa - buy some trashy magazines, rent some videos, buy some icecream - there are no calories in icecream eaten under such circumstances - and veg out - you deserve it - by taking care of yourself you'll begin to feel a lot better!
Work to live
Live to bike
Bike to work

Gel

#8 Post by Gel »

Thanks everyone,
I did go home and rest after all my classes and kept up with the ibuprofen. I'm feeling better today and I have been enjoying mashed potatoes and cheesecake, my favorite dessert. I woke up with pain in my bottom jaw, but nothing a little ice a pain reliever can't handle. Thanks again! :lol:

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

Jodster

#9 Post by Jodster »

Gel--
I feel your pain!! :cry: I had my 4 pulled just 2 weeks ago, and one week later I had spacers put on the bottom and had my bottom braces put on 48 hours ago. So from one who has had all of this done recently, the spacers are a breeze compared to the pain/suffering after the extractions.

I was feeling more like myself in about 4 days, but soft foods, including milkshakes are your best friend (hey, and it gives you an excuse to eat whatever you want, including cheesecake!! :lol: )

As everyone else said, keep your spirits up. The spacers are easy and the braces take some getting used to, but aren't bad at all!!
^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^!^

Ceramic Uppers 9/6/05; metal lowers 11/8/05
4 bicuspids removed 10/26/05

33 y.o. male whose parents couldn't afford braces as a teen---and YES, I TOO AM OBSESSED!!

greencapt

#10 Post by greencapt »

And watch out for those volleyballs!!!!!!

:gavel:

Gel

#11 Post by Gel »

Thanks everyone, my bottom jaw still hurts, is that normal? I sure hope that spacers are easier than those extractions, but they might be just as worse. I hope not! Thanks for all the support, oh and we're done with volleyball and moved on to jump roping.

Gel

Stellar

#12 Post by Stellar »

I hope things keep getting better for you. When I had mine out, I used to alternate between Tylenol and Ibuprophen. That seemed to really help. I have also had leg surgery 5 weeks ago, and have found that alternating meds really helps. It was even suggested by my surgeon. As for the spacers, I found mine to be ...No Big... They just felt like a piece of steak stuck between your teeth occasionally. I had my spacers for 3 weeks too! Keep getting better. We'll be thinking about you! :thumbsup:
Spacers: Aug. 22, 2005
1 Wisdom Extraction: Aug. 27, 2005
Braced: Sept. 8, 2005
4 First Bicuspids Extraction: Sept. 9, 2005

Painfulvanity

#13 Post by Painfulvanity »

Hi, I too have a sensitivity to painkillers. They can make me feel really sick but I have found that if I take a 1/4 or 1/2 of one every three hours or so along with a few ibuprofen them I am okay. Remember to eat before taking them too. While vicoden has helped with pain I think the ibuprofen helped me the most but it doesn't take away the intense pain. That is when I would take small amounts of painkillers.

Hang in there! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Cindy