permanent retainer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ann4461

permanent retainer

#1 Post by ann4461 »

I only have had my braces on for 1 month (seems like a year) but in my treatment, my ortho said he's going to put on a permanent retainer on both top and bottom after I have my braces off (I only have to have these damn things on for 6 months.) I figured this would be a good move since I'm 26, don't feel like remembering to put it on everyday, and can't lose them.
BUT, the downside is that I STILL have to thread floss through each tooth, am I right? Is there any more to the "down side" that I should be aware of? Any advice on this would be appreciated...

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Yes, you 'get' to floss with floss threaders with the permanent retainers, but the retainers only cover the first 6 teeth so it's not terrible.
The pluses with the bonded retainers (in my opinion) are 1-they are virtually invisible, being on the 'inside' of your smile, 2-they are impossible to lose, and 3-they are more durable then essix and are easier (from what I've heard) to get used to then hawleys. I really like my permanent retainers, personally.
Good luck :D
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

HollyDontSpend

ha

#3 Post by HollyDontSpend »

I thought my post didn't post! HAHA! There's two of these posts! :lol:
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05