permanent retainer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ann4461

permanent retainer

#1 Post by ann4461 »

I only have had my braces on for 1 month (seems like a year) but in my treatment, my ortho said he's going to put on a permanent retainer on both top and bottom after I have my braces off (I only have to have these damn things on for 6 months.) I figured this would be a good move since I'm 26, don't feel like remembering to put it on everyday, and can't lose them.
BUT, the downside is that I STILL have to thread floss through each tooth, am I right? Is there any more to the "down side" that I should be aware of? Any advice on this would be appreciated...

HollyDontSpend

permanent

#2 Post by HollyDontSpend »

I have top and bottom fixed retainers and I have to admit, I had an adjustment period before I got used to them. My adjustment period only lasted 2 days, as opposed to the lengthy period I had to the actual braces. Getting the top one was a little bit of a suprise since I thought I was only getting one on the bottom. I was in a directing scene two hours after the retainers were glued on and the top one had me a little worried because I was lisping. It only took a day to get used to, but when I did the scene I was talking funny. The glue is not totally smooth at first and my tongue was raw from playing with the bottom one, but after a day it was no problem. Maybe it's still rough, but it seems smoother now. If I'm lazy, I'll lisp, but it's definately not a speech problem normally. You do have to use floss threader, but really, after a year or so in braces, it's not that big a deal. You still get to floss normally with other teeth. Flossing is still SO much faster than it was with braces. I love my permanent retainers!! I don't have to take them out and clean them and don't have to worry about them at ALL! It only takes a few days and you'll be used to them because braces are so much more difficult to get used to. (However, this is MY opinion. Others feel differently). I hope this helps! :wink:
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

Rebraced

#3 Post by Rebraced »

HollyDontSpend, I am glad to hear your thoughts about permanent retainers. My ortho told be I would have to be "married" to a retainer when my braces come off and peremanent retainers were an option. I definitely like low maintenance aspect of them. I will definintely be getting them as my teeth seem to wander off on their own without braces on.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

Even though I've only had my braces on for 7 months I already want permanent retainers if I have the choice. Even though I don't know too much about them the idea of not having to think about them is really apealing. Are they cemented on to the backs of your teeth? Are they difficult to clean at all? How long did you have to wait after the braces came off before getting the retainers on or was it the same day?

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*