Uppers and lowers done seperately?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Uppers and lowers done seperately?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I've been reading alot of posts here where someone says they just had their upper or lower teeth braced. Do orthos put the upper ones and lower ones on seperately? I always thought all teeth were braced at the same time! But is it done that way?

butterfly

#2 Post by butterfly »

Depends which jaw needs more work to be done. In my case for example the uppers have to be undrowded much more than the lowers. Only in a couple of months I will get lowers. In other cases it might be the opposite so they start with lowers.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Aradia252

#3 Post by Aradia252 »

I don't think that it depends on which needs more work. I got my top braces on in June and my bottoms on in October. My bottoms are MUCH more crowded than the tops were.

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

Butterfly:

Thank you! That helps me know what to expect. The ortho didn't tell me anything about it yet.

Geri

#5 Post by Geri »

Hi genxsis - I got my uppers a month before my lowers because the ortho wanted to move my upper front teeth outwards to make room for the lower braces (I have a deep bite). That's why it happended that way for me but I guess it varies depending on what treatment you need.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

I had my uppers put on in April of 2004 and my lowers ut on today! I think its because of my deep bite which now because I can't bite down because of my bottom braces is an open bite in the back! :shock:
Good luck with your treatment!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

KK:

"Expect the unexpected" is right! :D I feel more confident now that I don't know what to expect, strange as that sounds! I guess if I don't know what will happen, I won't know what to worry about in advance.

But today is the point of no return. In just a couple hours, I have an appt. with my dentist to pull 2 of the 4 bi-cuspids that need to go before I get braced, which supposedly will be around the beginning of January. Once teeth start getting pulled, there's no turning back. Now THAT'S something to get nervous about! :shock:

jenns91civic

#8 Post by jenns91civic »

I got all of mine at the same time.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Barbiedoll

#9 Post by Barbiedoll »

I have only uppers at this time. They have to move teeth around before I can have lowers or my to teeth will hit the lower brackets (or the other way around). The result is damage to teeth and brackets.
I reject your reality … and substitute my own.