braCES ON front crowns--2 with root canals

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Whitney

braCES ON front crowns--2 with root canals

#1 Post by Whitney »

I am a newbie and initially posted under the Doc section
After being bulimic for much of my adult like, I basically had to have my four front teeth crowned--two having had root canals from an accident. Although they were a bit big--to cover a gap, and long--hence an overjet, I was fairly content for a few years BUT I was also a thumbucker (which kills me to admit) and the crowns have shifted out so now I have two BIG, buck teeth with crowns.
My dentist said that it was the best crown work he could do under the conditions. I went to an orthodontist and he (to my surprise) said that he could indeed fix things with braces. He said I may have to have new crowns after but perhaps he could slenderize somewhat.
My main concern is that my teeth will actually become loose and fall out from the braces. I am soooooo unhappy currently so I do not know if I should just take the plunge and see what happens.
Can anyone share experiences with this??? The "not a major problem" from the orthodontist seems a bit undercautious...

mtb_nwbraces

#2 Post by mtb_nwbraces »

Whitney I too had the buck teeth and I had a root canal done on one of them over twenty five years ago. Like you I was very concerned that something would happen to that tooth if I had it moved when I got my teeth straightened. I have a total of 3 root canals and 4 crowns. Of the four crowns I was told that 2 of them will need to be replaced when I am done with the braces.

The thing that I had noticed is the front tooth with the root canal has never been loose like my other teeth. To date it has moved more then I thought it was every going to move with no problems. I had the adjoining front tooth slenderized last months and the crown reshaped so I no longer have the big buck teeth.

Now that I am heading into the last 6 months in braces I find all the concerns I had were really missed placed. All my crowns and root canals moved and they gave me no problems. I do not think you have too much to worry about. I think your front teeth will move and you’ll be very surprised at how easily they will move, and at how much better they will look in the end.
Braced - Jan 6th 2005
Full Metal Brackets
Teeth released from Bondage - July 25th 2006

Whitney

thanks

#3 Post by Whitney »

for the advice and encouragement. I find that my teeth have shifted out even more. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to close my lips when they finally go on!!! They said it was Class 2 overbite. I am getting ceramic uppers and metal lowers.