Do orthodontists try to flatter?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

noppi

Do orthodontists try to flatter?

#1 Post by noppi »

The orthodontist I am going to go to is kind of funny. I went in for my consultation and the dr and the treatment coordinator kept commenting on how my teeth were so nice. They took pictures and xrays. My teeth really aren't so bad, but a few teeth are not straight and my teeth are starting to point outwards...almost getting bucky. But the dr when analyzing my pictures/xrays commented on how I have a nice arch, and really nice teeth. And he was so excited it seemed and kept saying how fun this will be...hmmm...for who? :D But anyway, despite having "such nice teeth" he still recommends braces, but what orthodontist wouldn't. So although my teeth aren't that crooked, I have a bite issue and am classified as a Class II malocclusion. So I feel confused. I used to always think braces were for crooked teeth, but I am learning it can fix bites too.

Anyone else have relatively straight teeth? Sometimes I wonder if it is all "worth it". But I know I'd be very happy with the results. And I think my bite is causing some other problems with my teeth, etc. But at the same time I wonder if the orthodontist is trying to flatter me and get my business. I feel I can trust him...and maybe it's just his personality and he just gets excited...but seems funny. =) Any comments?

mackenzie

#2 Post by mackenzie »

My ortho's assistants comment me on everything! It is weird, they always like my jewlery, say I have nice skin even when I'm breaking out, and my teeth are nice and white, blah blah...

This is a typical visit, "Hi OOH I love your earings! Now, are you one of those lucky teenagers who has such nice skin? Those jeans are so cute!"

It doesn't bother me at all, I find it pretty funny.

lpgapro

#3 Post by lpgapro »

I too had perfectly straight teeth when I started this journey of braces. My problem is also a bite issue. Yes, my teeth are moving around and for the first time in years I am able to feel my back teeth together. All of the weight in my mouth was on my front teeth, nothing touching in the back. I the few month I have had my braces there is a big difference. I was braced on Aug. 15th, 05 and have major major improvements! I also had a TMJ issue that is now hopefully a thing of the past. I am very please with the results. I still have a long way to go...21 months in braces left. People ask me to this day if I am close to getting my braces removed and the people in my ortho's office always comment on my nice teeth! True, braces are not always for crooked teeth!

GAC System 7 - top and bottom

Good luck on your decision.

geekgirl

#4 Post by geekgirl »

Well, I don't know about teeth, but all of my dental professionals always seem to compliment me on my shoes. Then my periodontist explained to me that when they walk in to see a patient, all they see at first is the shoes and the back of the head.

Personally, i think they teach them to compliment whenever possible in dental school. It's gotta be some sort of psychological trick, to get us patients to loosen up a bit and relax. It's probably not fake flattery, but instead it's just them looking for something to say nice things about.
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

greencapt

#5 Post by greencapt »

Its so strange- the assistants usually just kick me in the crotch and then spraypaint nasty sayings on me... well, before they strap me down to the chair and break out the rusty tools....

Perhaps I should have paid more that $3.50 for orthodontics.

:jokerlaugh:

Heh. Just kidding. Nice folks all- they're chatty but not really flattery.

jenns91civic

#6 Post by jenns91civic »

LOL green....oh the mental images!!

Your ortho talking about your nice teeth is probably referring to the generally health, shape, size, etc. I have great teeth as far as health goes, but they are shaped horribly after years of rough grinding that my parents ignored. My canines are flat now which really stinks. Nice teeth can still be crooked. Straight teeth can be wonky because of jaw placement, etc.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

Attagirl2

#7 Post by Attagirl2 »

Mine were fairly straight, too, but the lowers slope off on one side and I had Class II occlusion. My ortho and assistants complement as they feel led too. Nice because that is honesty at it's best. I work in retail, and it makes a HUGE difference when we acknowledge our customers.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

greencapt wrote:Its so strange- the assistants usually just kick me in the crotch and then spraypaint nasty sayings on me... well, before they strap me down to the chair and break out the rusty tools....
That's the HMO orthodontics plan! :jokerlaugh:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

greencapt

#9 Post by greencapt »

bbsadmin wrote:
greencapt wrote:Its so strange- the assistants usually just kick me in the crotch and then spraypaint nasty sayings on me... well, before they strap me down to the chair and break out the rusty tools....
That's the HMO orthodontics plan! :jokerlaugh:
Or possibly NHS for our UK friends?!?!?! :BigTeethGrin:

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

My Ortho complemented me too and said how "lucky" I was! I said "I don't really feel very lucky right now!". I think he is talking about the fact that 1) I won't need extractions 2) My arch was decently wide, although I do have alot of crowding. We are trying to straighten this out without any extractions. I have a Class 1 Malocclusion and a deep bite. I have had ALOT of bite issues, bruxism, etc.

LoobyLou

#11 Post by LoobyLou »

I don't ever receive any compliments from my ortho whatsoever...not even a 'your teeth are doing well' lol. I guess I don't mind though, I'm used to his bedside manner (or lack thereof) now. As long as the job gets done in the end he doesn't have to say a thing to me!!

LoobyLou
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

hannah164

#12 Post by hannah164 »

My ortho and his assistants are usually very friendly. Last visit my ortho got very excited because my impacted cuspid was actually coming down! Usually he just tells me what a "complicated" case I am! :? Thats always what I want to hear! :( One time he pointed out everything that was wrong with my teeth, like your missing these teeth, and this baby tooth still won't come out, and you have a deep bite, etc. :shock: :x Hopefully he'll actually start to fix this soon instead of just pointing it all out to me!

:)

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

hopkins

#13 Post by hopkins »

When it comes down to it, orthodontists are salesmen. They are out to sell their product.

Being enthusiastic and just well nice...is definitely one way of convincing a patient to get the work done at that particular office. I would definitely pay a little more to have an ortho who seems like he actually cares about the work he is doing rather than just going through the motions.

:)