Extractions...before or during braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

noppi

Extractions...before or during braces?

#1 Post by noppi »

So I emailed my ortho. (I love being able to email him and not waste time sitting at a phone) and asked him about my extractions. I've only had one consultation appointment, and tomorrow Ill get my spacers out. Most of the people I know get their teeth pulled out before braces. My doctor said he wants to put braces on first and then extract. This way he says that the gaps would close up much quicker with the braces. That sounds ouchy. I think I'd want the gum to heal first.

What has been your experience? Before, or during braces?
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

I got my braces on a month before I had 4 extractions. I've had teeth out before, and the most recent ones weren't any more of a bother or trouble with the braces on, than they would have been without them.

I'd think there would be more of a risk of things not moving properly if you didn't have the braces on before the extractions... like the other teeth shift further away, or move front or back, instead of being guided into place by the braces. But of course, I'm no dentist or ortho, and if your ortho believes it's better to do the extractions after you get the braces on, go with that.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Danny

#3 Post by Danny »

I got my brackets and bands placed on a Thursday and had 4 ext's on the following monday (which was this day exactly a year ago) then on the way home from the dentist, I stopped at the ortho's office and got my wires put on. I was still numb and somewhat sedated so it wasn't too bad till the next day! :shock:

It's pretty common to do it this way. I was surprised when I heard I was getting my wires placed as soon as the teeth were out. It does make sense though, to start guiding the teeth into the ext gaps as soon as possible.
BE HAPPY!

Danny

Gable74

#4 Post by Gable74 »

I have had my braces on for 8 months now and up until this most recent appointment, I was going to have to get 4 premolars extracted. My teeth are 95% straight now after some real problems with crowding. This past appointment shocked me cause the ortho told me on my next visit, we would be taking some more xray's to see if extractions were necessary or not. That was a real nice surprise because while its not for certain yet, there is a chance that I may not need the extractions. This would be fantastic as it would definately reduce my time i have to wear these wonderful things. So to make a long story short, unless it is absolutely definate that extractions are needed, I think its best to wear the braces for a period of time until the teeth become uncrowded enough to make a better diagnoses on whether the extractions are necesarry or not. I had some serious crowding going on (moderate/heavy according to my work-up) and now my teeth are straight on the bottom (aside from some minor leveling), and 95% straight on top (aside from one tooth that is about 1 month from being where it needs to be). I just think if its feasable, why not move the teeth as close as you can to where they need to go before making that decision for extraction? I say this of course with a big white spot on my wall where a D.D.S. diploma would be.

sophielafille

#5 Post by sophielafille »

I got braces put on first, and I'm having the extractions done in a few weeks. They just left the brackets off of the ones I need out. The reason they wanted the braces on first is because that way, if I still wanted to back out, I could, whereas if I had the teeth out first then I'd have no choice. At this point, I've had the braces on for a week and I've contemplated just taking them off and bagging the whole thing, but I figure I've wanted this for so long I better just go through with it or I'll be p-o'd forever.

-Sophie.
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

I had top braces for about 9 months and then I had 6 teeth extracted and 2 impacted teeth exposed. :shock: It actually wasn't too bad! Just trust your ortho on this one, he's knows what he's doing. :)

Good luck!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

bejay23

#7 Post by bejay23 »

I have only had my braces on for about 2 weeks, but I have crowding as well and my ortho is going to extract teeth after they are completely straight. He says that I may like my smile without the extractions. So we are going to wait until they are straight and then decide.

I was a bit worried also because I had never heard of the teeth being pulled AFTER the braces were put on, but after coming to this website my mind was put at ease.

Hope our comments are helping.
Bejay23
Damon 3 upper and lower; Crowding