Holy powerchain pain, Batman!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mtbrncofn

Holy powerchain pain, Batman!

#1 Post by mtbrncofn »

So I had an adjustment today and I got the bigger wire I have been dreading, but they only put it on top. Then horror of horrors, he put a powerchain on on top of that bigger wire. Needless to say, I am not feeling very nice at this point in time. It's killing me.

Question for some: When he put the chain on, in a couple of places he also put some other band thing over it that goes kind of along my gumline up there. Anyone else have these or know what they do?
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Rebraced

#2 Post by Rebraced »

I know what you mean. I had a powerchain installed on my first adjustment last week and WOW that one tooth really was painfull for a while. I don't know what the other thing along your gumline is. What color powerchain do you have?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

I feel your pain mtbrncofn!

On my last adjustment when I got bottom braces I also got huge powerchains across lower extraction gaps and oh my goodnes do the hurt! :shock: They still hurt now but I have definitely seen some movement already! :) THe problem is that the powerchain is making a gap to a tooth next to it that continues to grow! :? Oh well...

Hope you feel better soon!
:thumbsup:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

mtbrncofn

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

Rebraced wrote:I know what you mean. I had a powerchain installed on my first adjustment last week and WOW that one tooth really was painfull for a while. I don't know what the other thing along your gumline is. What color powerchain do you have?
Oh man, no one else has these other rubber band things? They're the same color as the chain and they are hooked horizontally along the tops of my brackets, extending over 2 or 3 teeth. My chain is green. I picked metalllic green. It's a darker green, I was shooting for a more Christmassy feel, but I don't like it at all.

I am still in considerable misery and I haven't missed a dose of Advil yet.

Hannah, thanks for the commiseration, it's greatly appreciated. :)

littleshaddies

#5 Post by littleshaddies »

Well to join the pain team, I had 4 new powerchains in yesterday. Kind of silver but streched look to me a bit blue.
Paramol is my best friend today but feeling kind of confused. Me or the painkiller?!? Makes you wonder how many I had :-+ .......
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

hannah164

#6 Post by hannah164 »

mtbrncofn:

I think I know what you mean with the rubber band like things stretched across the tops or bottoms of the braces. It was stretched horizontally across the hooks of 2 teeth across maybe 3 or 4. Mine were very close to the gum on top and my ortho said it was used to rotate a tooth! :? It hurt so bad! :x

I too was living off painkillers! :shock:

Hope you feel better soon! :pinkbraces:

-Hannah

Lyn

#7 Post by Lyn »

I feel your pain!!! :(
I had a gap [caused by the braces to correct over crowding] and they put a power chain on last visit........I cried for hours that night. When I went to bed, my husband said "Go look at your teeth....the gap is gone." I said "That is mean", "stop teasing me"!! I was in so much pain. I didn't believe him. When I got to the mirror I couldn't believe my eyes!!! That is why I was in so much pain.----The gap closed in a matter of 6 hours!!!
Good Luck! :)

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Shelby014

#8 Post by Shelby014 »

wow, i guess i should consider myself lucky, all i got is the humongo square wire, they were going to put in a powerchain too, but they said that they would do that next time. My teeth dont get sore, so the wire never hurt, it just gave me this little sore in the front of my mouth, that wont go a way, because the sharp corner of the square keeps cutting it.
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Qtgirl

#9 Post by Qtgirl »

Congratulations on getting your powerchain :) (i told ya so lol) I hope you see changes really soon. Sorry about your pain.

Chocoholic

#10 Post by Chocoholic »

Having the powerchain put on is the most pain I've experienced since initially getting my braces put on and my gums have all gone really sensitive. Ho Hum! I have a white powerchain which looks quite cool over the ceramics as it hides the metal colour of the wire which is a bit of a bonus.

I have 1 more wire to go on top and I guess the powerchain is to bring everything together, so the end for the tops is in sight I hope.

mtbrncofn

#11 Post by mtbrncofn »

For Hannah, yes! That is exactly what it is. My question is, what is its purpose? Do you know?

Well the pain lessened quickly, a lot quicker than that first huge square wire change that had me in agony a couple of months back. I'm irritated though because I haven't really noticed any movement. I thought for sure I'd get up the next morning and the big gap would be half closed. I guess something has happened because I've got a wire poking me already, but it certainly isn't anything I can see! Grrr.

Thanks to all the rest of you for commiserating and for the wishes. :)

hannah164

#12 Post by hannah164 »

Mine was used to rotate an impacted cuspid that had finally been exposed and was being brought down! It was too high up to have a powerchain on the actual bracket so he hooked it up high on the hook! :? It hurt so frickin' bad! And I couldn't figure out what it was for! :shock: He told the assitant at my next visit.

I guess it could be used to rotate teeth or close gaps. :?

Good luck!

-Hannah

mtbrncofn

#13 Post by mtbrncofn »

Hmmm. Ok, thanks for the explanation. I just don't have much going on over there where he put it. :?: I guess I'll just have to ask when I get there next time!