Just got my bottom braces- ouch!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JeepGirl

Just got my bottom braces- ouch!

#1 Post by JeepGirl »

:-+ I just wanted to vent! I got my bottom braces on yesterday and am now not looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner. I tried to eat yesterday and it HURT so bad. Even flossing the bottoms made me cry and I had to stop flossing.

Last night my husband made me a Truffletini (Godiva white chocolate liquor and Godiva chocolate liqour with Vanilla Vodka :wink: ) which was really good but I wished I had opted for the Advil instead. Eating is impossible and I am on a liquid diet. I don't know if I am going to be able to eat anything for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

:cry:

H Rogers

#2 Post by H Rogers »

Hi Jeepgirl!
Don't give up hope! I have had my top braces on since July but I just got my bottom braces on and it kills me to chew anything. My lower braces have cut my lower lip and I have sores on both sides of my cheeks from the brackets on my back molars :soremouth: I have decided to get some ham or turkey and just cut it into little bite size pieces (white meat only its softer) and use my molars to chew very slowly. I have been pulling things apart with my fingers into small tiny pieces and although it is still difficult to chew at least I can eat something. My husband even tries to put things in the blender under chop mode and it comes out so small that it DOES make things easier to chew. Give it a try and good luck. Happy Thanksgiving! :D

hannah164

#3 Post by hannah164 »

JeepGirl I definitely know how you feel! I'm sorry you're in that much pain!

I got my bottom braces on a week ago today and man did they hurt so bad! I had also gotten powerchains, a new bracket on top, and a new wire on top! :shock: I thought I was going to die! I couldn't eat anything! :x I was living off soup and smoothies for a while! :( When I tried flossing the bottoms it hurt so bad I had to stop, I thought I was going to cry too! :cry:

I really hope you are able to eat some of your favorite dishes for Thanksgiving tommorrow! Stick to mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, and veggies. Thats what I will be doing! Because of my bottom braces only my front teeth touch the bottom ones making it impossible to chew! Its like I now have an open bite instead of a deep bite in the back! :? So frustrating! :x

Good luck with thanksgiving and hope you feel better soon! Let us know how it goes!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

JeepGirl

#4 Post by JeepGirl »

Just wanted to update everyone on my Thanksgiving meal. The pain eased up somewhat and for the first time in days I was able to eat solid foods for my Thanksgiving dinner. I had to eat slowly and in little bites and only on one side of my mouth but I did it! I had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, bread and even managed to eat apple pie for dessert. :lol:

Yes my teeth still hurt but at least not like they did the first 24 hours. I have a high tolerance for pain but those first 24 hours were horrible. Now I can relate to the "punched in the mouth" feeling some of us have mentioned on this board. Flossing is getting easier too and is not as painful.

Thank goodness this site is here. I really appreciate all of the moral support from y'all. It really helped me get through a rough few days. Now on to the Thanksgiving leftovers! :D