How often should I expect brackets to fall off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drazda

How often should I expect brackets to fall off?

#1 Post by drazda »

I have had my braces for less than 2 weeks, and already one of my back brackets has fallen off. How often should I expect this to happen? Will it prolong me having to wear braces? Thanks guys!
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

LynnVon

#2 Post by LynnVon »

I just got my braces on Thursday. I had braces for 2 hours and 2 of my front brackets fell off.....and, no I didn not eat anything hard. I went in to see my ortho about it the next morning and he replaced them. That evening, however, 3 other front brackets fell off. I was really frustrated. Since it was Friday, I had to wait all weekend before I could get them fixed. This time he moved my brackets really low on my teeth....I guess it was the way I was biting that caused them to fall off. So far, I have been okay now.
Good luck!

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

I am actually amazed you can bite, because for days after getting my braces I could only easily eat mush, and after five weeks now, still can't bite into anything, except using my side teeth, and then only semi-soft stuff.

Shagers

Re: How often should I expect brackets to fall off?

#4 Post by Shagers »

drazda wrote:I have had my braces for less than 2 weeks, and already one of my back brackets has fallen off. How often should I expect this to happen? Will it prolong me having to wear braces? Thanks guys!
It won't prolong your treatment as long as you get back to your othro and get it reattached.

I had one break on day 1, and I'm on about day 100 or so and I haven't had any further problems.

From what I hear (no scientific evidence here), the average number of breaks is about 1 or 2, with most people sitting between 0 and 5 over the length of the treatment. Your mileage may vary.

Competely off topic, but I have to ask: Why do countries who use Kilometers instead of Miles still use the word mileage? Wouldn't Kilometerage be more appropriate? :)
Shagers - Braced Aug 05
--
Lipton Mr T - finally, a tea for the real man. I pity the coffee drinkin' fool.

Caroline

#5 Post by Caroline »

I'm 10 months in and have yet to have a bracket fall off. Maybe it has something to do with the type of bonding material: my brackets were not set with a UV light.

Shagers,

In Quebec, we use the word "kilometrage" in French, but still refer to it as mileage in English. Strange, I know...
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

tkais

#6 Post by tkais »

I've been braced for 16 months and not one bracket has fallen off. I'm not sure what causes the to come off, certainly not eating or brushing. Probably a poor bond.

alexa

#7 Post by alexa »

9 months braced here, and nothing has fallen off yet.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

spragers

#8 Post by spragers »

My ortho had a relatively new assistant. Three brackets popped off the night after getting them on, while watching TV. A fourth came loose at my first adjustment. Since then, not another problem.

drazda

#9 Post by drazda »

Mine were put on by UV light. In the back of my teeth, I don't have that metal thing that wraps around, I just have a regular bracket (If anyone knows what I'm talking about) Does this make it easier for it to fall off?
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Tin Man

#10 Post by Tin Man »

I've had mine for over a year now and I've only had one come off. It was completely my fault of course because I was eating some really great venison jerky I had made. Other than that, these things are on pretty well.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

cookie

#11 Post by cookie »

I've not had any brackets fall off (yet - touch wood!) and I've been braced for nearly a year. I eat "bad" foods like baguette, beef jerky, popcorn all the time too!
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

HollyDontSpend

back

#12 Post by HollyDontSpend »

I had back molar tubes too. What they did is use glue and then the blue light bonds the glue faster than just waiting for it to dry. None of mine fell off. It could be a bad bond or the brackets have some problems on the backside. Also, my ortho told me that the molar tubes have a tendency to fall off given their location and shape of the tooth. I think one of the Dr's may have given a smilar answer, but I could not find it in my search.
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

rmarris

#13 Post by rmarris »

I had three fall off the day I got my braces on. Then I had one more fall off two days after that but am in Flordia for a month and can't get it fixed, I had another come off this morning right next to it. i will have to wait until next week to see what they say. I am getting really fristrated by the whole thing.
~Beckie

nvcarissa

#14 Post by nvcarissa »

The worst problem I have had is a wire popping out of the buccal tube. No brackets have popped of (knock wood).

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

calley03

#15 Post by calley03 »

I don't have my braces on yet but in my contract I sign next week I am "allowed" to have 4 brackets fixed and after that they charge me 20.00 to fix brackets. The part that worries me is my orthodontist does not often do ceramics because he see's more kids (the reason he is doing ceramics for no extra charge) and I worry about losing more than my allowed "4".
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05