Moving overseas

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dkt3

Moving overseas

#1 Post by dkt3 »

I have had my braces for three months with a sentence of 15-18. My ortho says everything at the moment is moving fast so hopefully it will be a quick treatment.

Next year I am considering moving at England for a few years to work. I will probably be around July next year which will be just over a year into treatment. Has anyone changed like this and is it easy?

I have paid upfront for my braces so I hope to get some of that back. I also have linguals which I know does complicate matters. I dont want to talk to my ortho just yet because if its not easy to change I might not move until the end of my treatment. But just wondering what peoples' experience on here has been.

glowstix

#2 Post by glowstix »

well, i almost was in a similar situation. i lived on a british territory and i had a consultation there but decided to wait 'till i came to FL. when i came here i had another consultation and subsequently was braced here. from my experience, it seems as if there are slight differences between american and english treatment philosophies (you also would have to get used to driving on the left side of the road in a car with steering wheel on the right side, :lol:).

you may run into some problems if you do this, not only in going from american to english but also based on the fact that ortho's generally don't like transfer cases. my case was kinda out of the ordinary; not sure about yours, maybe it's more straightforward. if at all possible, it's probably better to wait 'till the end of treatment to move.

arnette

#3 Post by arnette »

glowstix wrote:well, i almost was in a similar situation. i lived on a british territory and i had a consultation there but decided to wait 'till i came to FL. when i came here i had another consultation and subsequently was braced here. from my experience, it seems as if there are slight differences between american and english treatment philosophies
Um, what are the differences in philosophies between British and US orthodontists?? I'm going to start treatment soon in Scotland having been braced years before when I lived in TX. Anything specific you can tell me as far as how things will go?

Laura

#4 Post by Laura »

Hi.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I got braces two weeks ago and lan to go to Australia to work at the end of next year (can't wait!!!). It will take a year and half to do my teeth so at that stage I will only have four months left hopefully. I talked to the ortho about it a nd she said just get them finished over there. I think the only hassle might be that It might cost me a bit extra. But I'm prepared to the risk. I wouldn't think its unheard of, things happen, life changes so nothing is every set in stone.

ganeshacake

#5 Post by ganeshacake »

I tell you a non ordinary case: I've been braced in Malaysia two months ago. In October 2006 I will move but not sure which country, could be Argentina or Netherlands, I hope to go back to Argentina because I am from Buenos Aires and orthodontists there are affordable and reliable, and of course I will not suffer from language barriers. I didn't talk with my ortho about money yet, but I will do it soon. Im sure he will not pretend me to pay for the hole treatment.... :?

as somebody said, transfer cases are not simple...
cheers