Cold Weather & Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dadio

Cold Weather & Braces

#1 Post by Dadio »

Hi all! Curious question - what's it like being in braces during cold weather? It's finally starting to cool off here in the Southeastern US and we're getting some crisp temps and the first feel of winter. I'm noticing a very different feeling in my mouth being outside in the cooler air. Is this winter going to be a lot different for me? It's my first fall and winter in braces. If I'm very lucky, I'll get to go to some really cold, snowy places to ski, but I'm really wondering what a mouthful of crisp, cold mountain air is going to feel like. I also may be doing some work in New England over the winter, so that's another reason I'm curious. TIA everybody!

HollyDontSpend

cold

#2 Post by HollyDontSpend »

If your teeth are sensitive, one big breath of freezing cold air may make your teeth sting. I was kind of a mouth breather with the braces so I loved having a scarf to wrap around my face and cover my mouth. :)
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

megan_in_pink

#3 Post by megan_in_pink »

i do not find it all tht but i live in montreal quebec so it gets really cold her, just keep a scarf handy

camille4824

#4 Post by camille4824 »

I'll never forget last winter....sledding with my hubby and our son....

My lip stuck on my upper braces...RRRIIPPPPPP! Was not a pleasant feeling...and the look of my lips was terrifying after that!...ALWAYS , always keep those lips covered with chap stick of some sort!
Pendulum worn 10/12/04 until 4/19/05
Braced on top 1/19/05
Bottom braced 4/19/05
Damon 3 brackets

st00dy

#5 Post by st00dy »

Something my ortho told me last week that I didn't previously know...

The archwires work best at 37ish degrees, so i guess it's best to be drinking lots of warm drinks over the winter to keep the inside of your mouth warm.

For my part i've stopped putting bottles of water in the fridge.
get it off me, get it off me!

tkais

#6 Post by tkais »

Just don't let your teeth chatter when you shiver. I was at a football game last week and my teeth started to chatter......ouch!

tokidoki

#7 Post by tokidoki »

It's not as bad as you might think. Just watch getting furry scarves stuck in your braces :oops:

Megera_S

#8 Post by Megera_S »

I walked home from work lastnight and it was -20C (-4F) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... I'm sure I won't be saying the same thing when it's -40 though :?
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

Megera_S

#9 Post by Megera_S »

Lucyloop wrote:...That is soooooo cold Megera_S! :shock:

I've never been in temperatures that cold in my life - how do you cope with that? :?

LUCY xxx
Dress warmly and only go outside when you have to :P
(it's also a "dry cold" which probably only means something to other Canadians :lol: )
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

Chr1ssy711

#10 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

the thing that i have been noticing is that when it is cold i clunch my jaw and my teeth, thats what really hurts, not the cold but the clenching from it being cold.

ouch.
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

*hotslinthesun*

#11 Post by *hotslinthesun* »

ahh yes, the dry cold. It's weird but it is much better to be -25 with a dry cold than -15 with a wet cold.....
Full ceramic braces 08/10/2005

noppi

#12 Post by noppi »

I don't have the brackets yet, but I just have metal bands around my molars. I've noticed this week my mouth feels really weird. It's almost like I have less space in my mouth and the metal bands seem more noticeable like they're tighter. Has anyone else experienced that? I was thinking maybe it was because of the cold. It's been an average of 30-40 degrees here.
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

Gel

#13 Post by Gel »

It seems that my 8 am morning class has brought me to the attention of just how far I have to stretch my lips over my braces to get my mouth to close. It is a very interesting feeling that cold wind on metal. I live 6,000 feet above sea level, mountains near by and all. That "fresh mountain air" seems colder now than it has ever been before. My teeth have never been sensitive, but to even drink a glass of cold water is different.

I kinda like the sensation, but when the rest of me is freezing, it isn't so much fun.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel