How long did it take to close your gap?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brodie

How long did it take to close your gap?

#1 Post by Brodie »

Braced on 9/22/05

Powerchained 11/6/05

The space b/w my front two teeth is about 3/4 of a millimeter big, and doesn't seem to be moving. It use to be the size of a tooth (at least a whole millimeter) but it's slowly (extremly slowly) closing. Just trying to figure out a ball park.

"Smile Like You Mean It" -The Killers

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

Now that I think back on it I guess my gap wasn't horribly huge but it was pretty good size. Sorry I don't have a picture and never measure it but after getting a powerchain on it, the gap probably fully closed about a month later!

Good luck with yours!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

hopeful_4_2day

#3 Post by hopeful_4_2day »

same here but i dont have braces yet but i do have a gap and hate it, what is this powerchain?

Chris

Re: How long did it take to close your gap?

#4 Post by Chris »

Brodie wrote:Braced on 9/22/05

Powerchained 11/6/05

The space b/w my front two teeth is about 3/4 of a millimeter big, and doesn't seem to be moving. It use to be the size of a tooth (at least a whole millimeter) but it's slowly (extremly slowly) closing. Just trying to figure out a ball park.
Brodie...you've only been braced 2 months! If they move too quickly they can injure your roots. Sit back, be patient, and watch the show. 8)
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

johnnys_angel

#5 Post by johnnys_angel »

Brodie, I agree with Chris, just sit back and try to be patient (easier said than done). When I got powerchains my gaps were closed within 5 hours, but that doesn't mean they stayed closed :lol: With powerchains the gap should close faster, though. Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

smilezofmetal2

#6 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

to compeletly close 10 months...but as soon as the powerchains came off the gap is reopenning. Mines might have take longer because i have a fernum(sp?) between my two front teeth :evil:

br4cedguy

#7 Post by br4cedguy »

I got two top 1st bicuspids extracted to make more room in my mouth in August... I got braces on August 18 :) My gaps are closing really slowly too, but at least they're closing! I hate powerchains :x they hurt like hell! But I know that eventually the gaps will close and I'll have a perfect smile :D ! And you will too! :wink:

wating4braces

#8 Post by wating4braces »

When I got my two front teeth powerchain-ed it took about two or three weeks for it to completely close.

Lyn

#9 Post by Lyn »

My two front teeth were really crooked before braces. They straightened pretty quickly though (about 3 months) but then they formed a gap. At my ortho visit he put on a powerchain and in 6 hours the gap was gone!! But the pain was unbelievable!!!! :x However, now I have a gap between the front tooth and the one next two it.

I go to ortho tomorrow and we'll see how he's gonna fix that one!!! :roll:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

hannah164

#10 Post by hannah164 »

I just thought I'd add that even though my gap closed pretty quickly its opened up again so I guess we'll have to work on fixing that again! :x

Good luck with yours!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Shelby014

#11 Post by Shelby014 »

i had a pretty large gap, and mine closed within two months without a powerchain or anything, the braces closed it all by them selves, well i had a power thread, but that doesnt really do much of anything. I just have this huge square wire now, thats sort of annoying, but it never hurt, but anyways back to the gap thingy. When i get my braces off, if my space comes back, i will have to have a frenectomy(sp). Now i have a power wire threaded inbetween my four front brackets so that it keeps all my teeth firmly together. well hope this helped ya!
Shelby
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

br4cedguy

oops posted twice... how do i delete?

#12 Post by br4cedguy »

Today I got more powerchains on both sides to close my gaps more... this time they don't hurt and it's been hours since my appointment. I guess my teeth got used to soooooooooooooo much pressure from the chains. I don't have a full chain i just have like a 4 unit on one side and a 3 unit on the other side... confusing, i know :? but i'm really surprised they don't hurt :D. I don't get to pick my powerchain color though :( ... he always gives me gray but i don't really care as long as they close!
Last edited by br4cedguy on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

br4cedguy

#13 Post by br4cedguy »

Today I got more powerchains on both sides to close my gaps more... this time they don't hurt and it's been hours since my appointment. I guess my teeth got used to soooooooooooooo much pressure from the chains. I don't have a full chain i just have like a 4 unit on one side and a 3 unit on the other side... confusing, i know :? but i'm really surprised they don't hurt :D. I don't get to pick my powerchain colors though :( ... he always gives me gray but i don't really care as long as they close!

Keith

#14 Post by Keith »

Wow...

I've had powerchains since early June (going on 6 months!) and my gaps have not closed. I'm getting worried now.

LoobyLou

#15 Post by LoobyLou »

I have now got powerchains on to close up this one particular gap (the whole reason for me getting braces!) which lies between my very front top tooth and the one next door to it. Well I'm pleased to report it's closing up nicely (I've had the powerchain on about 4 weeks) but on the other side, either side of my canine, I have developed this huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge gap!!!! I can fit my tongue in between it either side!!! I think powerchains will soon become my best friends!

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*