You know its Gross when....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

You know its Gross when....

#1 Post by nahky »

..highlights of having braces (NOT)

..... the first gargle and spit after a meal, the mirkiest water comes outta your mouth. Its so foul. Its as if a good chunk of the meal had been caught in your brackets :oops:

.... you wake up one morning, thinking you have cleaned your teeth well the night before by brushing, flossing, gargling, mouthwash. Then as you go to rinse in the morning, a big chunk of food comes... and would most likely be recognisable from your last meal the night before :cry:

...the stench and pong from flossing your teeth between those molars (eww eww eww!) :?

...the faces I must pull when im at a restarant and cant rinse my mouth out and must get food outta my brackets. I look like a total ape pokin my tongue in every direction. Occasionally poppin a finger in here and there (Very unattractive if caught doing this) :shock:

...when my gums or ulcers get all gory... with blood and all. My cheeks are a lil tender at the moment, no idea why, the wires arent pokin. :(

...someone taking a picture while your eating ("quickly! quickly! get those chunks outta ya teeth) :roll:

...you bite into something, trying to enjoy your meal, and a piece of food gets caught in the most awkward and difficult position, then you'll end up chewing it over and over, trying to figure out how to get it out.

can anyone relate to these moments? and have other gross moments? :)
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

thatgirlwithbraces

yep...i can relate

#2 Post by thatgirlwithbraces »

when i finish dislodging pieces of food from my braces, i like to guess which food it is...."there's the corn...yuck...turkey...spinach casserole..."

It's disgusting, but hey, ya gotta eat! Ya gotta clean your braces! And ya gotta have some fun while doing it!
11/15/05---Braces went on. Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Tooth colored ligs.

Chocoholic

#3 Post by Chocoholic »

Ahahaha So true and so gross! :shock:

I hate it when you get soemthing stuck in a really dodgy place and you've forgotten the little brushes to get it out, so irritating.

serendipity

#4 Post by serendipity »

I hate how after you eat something and rinse you seem to rinse out more than you actually swallowed.... :?
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

wating4braces

#5 Post by wating4braces »

Well, if you have expanders, there is even MORE fun! (NOT)

...You get something sticky or something that was only half-chewed stuck in your upper expander and have to make the WEIRDEST noise to get it out like ur blowing air out of ur mouth (and sometimes it flies out!)

...I STILL constantly drool it seems like (and I've had my braces since August 15th!)

...There are a bunch more places for food to get stuck in my mouth (i have upper and lower expanders) and what is REALLY painful (especially because I have sensitive gums/teeth) is getting a small chip of ice caught under my expander! Ice cold...

...Like nahky said, someone asking you a question right after you put food in your mouth and you don't want to gross them out but at the same time you don't want to be rude...

Katie

swan

#6 Post by swan »

Something that's not too gross (because it's clean), but weird:
Sometimes when I open my mouth, the saliva is just spurting out like from a little fountain.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

michael33

#7 Post by michael33 »

The person you are talking to has food shrapnel on his face from you. :o

hannah164

#8 Post by hannah164 »

Wow! I can totally agree with most of these posts!

I hate it when you're sitting in class and its after lunch and you have food stuck in your braces and you can't seem to get it out discreetly! :(

Or after you've been talking to someone else and you check the mirror later and you find food in your braces! ITs so embarrassing! :oops:

And just cleaning your teeth after you eat! You find so much food! ITs incredible! :shock:

I also really hate it when people ask you a question right after you put food in your mouth and you don't want to answer right away but they are expecting an answer. :?

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

nahky

#9 Post by nahky »

michael33 wrote:The person you are talking to has food shrapnel on his face from you. :o
LOL! thats too funny and yet so relatable! when i do accidentally spatter some of my food in someones direction, im quick to say "its the braces, im so sorry! :lol: "
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

nahky

#10 Post by nahky »

hannah164 wrote: I also really hate it when people ask you a question right after you put food in your mouth and you don't want to answer right away but they are expecting an answer. :?

-Hannah
whats the worst is when you have a rinse of your mouth after a meal, then the first spit, (the mirkiest one) and someone catches a glimpse of it! My friends and family get grossed out each time they see the initial spit. Hate to see what strangers think lol. 8)

Jesslzz 01

Really good!

#11 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

I don't have my braces on yet (I am surely getting them around December 14th) and I am still a little scared, but reading your posts made me laugh so loud that my cat is now staring at me as I am crazy...
:D :D
These things take my fears out, because I can see now that there isn't only pain...There are a lot of embarrassing but funny, incredible things happening around braces...It is good to see the positive things, and laughing is definetely a great therapy for me right now!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
I hope I can share those things too when I get my braces!

lilsisbet

#12 Post by lilsisbet »

The "highlight" I dislike most, is when the Ortho (or his assistant) is changing one of my wires - when they take off the old one, there are strings of saliva hanging off the wire as he removes it from my mouth. It isn't attractive!
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

Gel

#13 Post by Gel »

wow, all this is interesting to be looking forward to. :lol: I have found that I am adapting to new favorite foods, shich sucks because chocolate and caramel are my favorite food group. I'm really self conscious when my husband sits there and watches me floss, it's as if he's waiting to see what disgusting thing will come out next.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

braceface69

#14 Post by braceface69 »

How about when your lips are really dry and you smile and they get stuck on the prongs of your braces??? LOL!

hannah164

#15 Post by hannah164 »

I defnitely know what that's like Braceface69! It happens all the time! Lol! Or today when I had a piece of pineapple stuck in my braces and it was wrapped around a hook and I couldn't get it out! :shock:

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05