Has anyone expanded their arch without expanders?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drazda

Has anyone expanded their arch without expanders?

#1 Post by drazda »

I really don't want to remove 4 bicuspids like my ortho said I might have to. He said I might have enough room in my mouth to not need any extractions because my arches are in the shape of a V. He hasn't mentioned an expander, but does anyone know if expansion is possible without an expander? I wouldn't even know what an expander is if it weren't for this site, thanks guys!
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

shinyam

#2 Post by shinyam »

Yes, braces alone can expand the arch, but you will need an expander for a more signficant increase.

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

Thanks for the response!
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

Yes arches can be expanded with braces alone - in fact Damon 3s are apparently especially good for this as they can eliminate the need for extractions and yet still widen the arches leaving enough room for all the teeth. Of course, I'm not an orthodontist and I don't know about your individual case but it might be worth having a chat to him about Damons as they're pretty good for things like this. I have damons and my lower arch was v shaped too but the arch is coming along nicely and is becoming more u shaped instead!

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

I'm not having expanders, but I think my upper arch is supposed to be getting expanded, because it kind of goes in/concave on one side.

So I hope it all works.