putting baces back on???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kjt

putting baces back on???

#1 Post by kjt »

Would anyone consider putting their braces back on (once they're off)if your ortho wanted you to?

I've had my braces off for 4 months and as soon as they took them off, they started to move. Most critically is my bite is slightly starting to open up on the right. Yesterday my ortho said he would like to put them back on for 4-5 mths and then make me a new retainer.

Really, I'm leaning towards not. I'm 28 and wore my braces for over 2 years. And I feel like even if I put them back on, they will probably move again once they're off. The ortho said he can't give me any guarantees of course. And believe me, I wear my retainer 24-7.

I feel like I need to move on with my life...I can't wear braces forever...

So would anyone else put there's back on or just settle with slightly imperfect teeth?

jimmy18

#2 Post by jimmy18 »

Would you have to pay your ortho more money for this?

I would defiantly put the braces back on if the ortho was going to cover the cost. If they weren't going to I would wait a little bit longer to see if my bite was continuing to worsen, then if it was I would pay for them again. But if it stayed the same and I was comfortable with where it was, I wouldn't.

Hope that was clear.

LoobyLou

#3 Post by LoobyLou »

Gosh what an unfortunate situation to be in! To be free of your braces then to be told you need them again. Well though it would be a tough decision I would probably have them applied again but refuse to pay any more money, opt for ceramic ones and ask him for a different type of retainer next time as perhaps you need one that is stronger? That would probably be my decision anyway. Were they taken off too soon do you think?

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

Luv LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

eagle

#4 Post by eagle »

I had braces for three years and got them off. Faithfully wore my retainer for a year and went in for one year check. Surprise! The ortho that did the work was no longer with that dental group and there was a new ortho (he left somewhere between 6 and 12 month check). The new ortho wasn't happy with how everything lined up and told me that they needed to go back on. The next week I had braces back on again. I was in them for two more years. The dental group didn't charge me anything for the additional treatment time. It's been over three years, still wear my retainers at night.

kjt

#5 Post by kjt »

After a year you really wanted to put them back on....and for 2 more years? With that much movement, didn't you notice changes before your one year check...did it not bother you?

Well I'm going back and forth on it. They don't look bad, just like everyone elses teeth out there...they just aren't perfect anymore.

But I would hate to put them back on, only to take them off again and they move again.

It totally sucks.

eagle

#6 Post by eagle »

kjt wrote:After a year you really wanted to put them back on....and for 2 more years? With that much movement, didn't you notice changes before your one year check...did it not bother you?
The first time I had braces on there was really a lot of movement during treatment. When the braces came off, I worked with my dentist that specializes in TMJ to get the bite even. He would grind a bit of tooth here and there and things would be okay. There was no noticible movement of teeth. The DDS said it was my jaw muscles that kept changing the bite. When the ortho suggected putting them back on, I decided it was a good idea because I was tired of the TJM dentist trying to even things up.

When I got them on the second time, it was supposed to be for just a few months, but my ortho is really a prefectionist and kept talking me into just another month or two. (I started feeling like when I went on fishing trips with my grandfather - just over the hill and around the next bend.) There was a thread a few weeks ago about being annoyed by braces. I could relate to almost everything that was written after spending that much time with braces.

I did it to fix a health problem, TMJ. If you're happy about how everything looks and works, and any small movement isn't causing problems, it would be a difficult decision to have them put back on. If there's a problem, I think the decision is much more easy to make. Good luck on your decision kjt!

Rebraced

#7 Post by Rebraced »

I kind of know where you are coming from since I am back in braces for the second time. For me the decision was easy. After all I went through the first time I wanted to keep that near perfect smile. I only have to be in braces for about six months and that I can easily deal with.
This time I got clear brackets and wire ties so they don't show much and they really don't bother be at all. I WILL be wearing a retainer this time after the braces are off.
Good luck with your decision and let us know how it turns out.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties