Braces over veneers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Banana1214

Braces over veneers?

#1 Post by Banana1214 »

I've seen lots of posts about people getting porcelain veneers after getting their braces off, but I'm in the opposite situation. I had veneers put on my two front teeth four years ago after I fell and chipped them. At the time, it was the quickest fix and since I was in college, I just wanted something done fast so I could get on with life. However, my teeth have always been crooked and now that I'm older, I'd like to have braces. I just don't know if they'll stick properly to the veneers or if the braces will pull the veneers off or something -- or if I'll have to have the veneers replaced when the braces come off; that will be expensive. Has anyone had braces over veneers or bonding or have any knowledge of whether it's possible?

Thanks!

Gel

#2 Post by Gel »

I have no idea, I have had metal bands put on to two crawns and they seem to be sticking really well.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

Whitney

same boat

#3 Post by Whitney »

Wow! I read your story and it so resembled mine that it is eerie.
I, too, wanted a "quick fix" and had crowns done on my four front teeth. I now absolutely HATE the crowns (two big ones that overhand and two small side ones) and am getting braces on Monday. They said that my crowns will move but I may need new ones later. I will let you know...
Good luck!

Shawnie

#4 Post by Shawnie »

I have bonding on both of my lateral teeth. They are peg laterals, so the bonding really helped make them look like a regular shaped tooth. I have ceramic braces, and no problems so far. I am a bit worried that when the braces come off, so will the bonding. I guess I'll just wait and see. I may want to change the bonding when the braces come off anyway since my teeth will be in a different position.

I also have a temporary crown that was permanently fixed due to insurance. It has a metal bracket on it, and after braces I will get the permanent crown put on. I'm glad it wasn't a regular crown though, because instead of spacers and a metal band my Dr. was able to rough it up enough to get the bracket to stick. Had it been a regular crown he wouldn't have wanted to do this.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

ThatsMrsGeek2U

#5 Post by ThatsMrsGeek2U »

I have porcelain veneers that are ~10 years old. The braces stick to them fine and don't pull them off. I think they use a different adhesive for the brackets on veneers and crowns. I have not popped off a bracket the entire year I have been wearing my braces and I wasn't completely good about not biting into hard stuff, either. :roll:

I plan to get new veneers after my braces come off, but not everyone has to. It is on a case-by-case basis, but I would think the orthodontist could tell you at the consultation if he thinks you'll be able to get away with keeping your old veneers. I doubt he will GUARANTEE that you won't have to replace them at the end just in case they do get scratched up or something. There are also no guarantees that you won't have some other thing go wrong though, so I think the ortho could tell you if the risk is minimal or not (as it is with most possible problems).

Personally, mine were due to be replaced anyway...they just need it after so many years. My ortho told me they would probably be okay in the end, but I want them replaced anyway because I used to smoke and don't now. I want my teeth bleached and whiter veneers put on. I'm planning to blind people with my Hollywood smile. :D

Banana1214

#6 Post by Banana1214 »

Thank you for your replies. Maybe I will want new ones anyway... I'd also like to whiten my "real" teeth and get whiter veneers. I guess since there's only two it won't be too terribly expensive. I'll have to ask an orthodontist, I suppose. Another question I have: did you all look around and get second and third opinions before choosing a doctor, or just go with whomever you were referred to by your dentist?

Thanks!
-Vanessa

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Banana1214 wrote:Thank you for your replies. Maybe I will want new ones anyway... I'd also like to whiten my "real" teeth and get whiter veneers. I guess since there's only two it won't be too terribly expensive. I'll have to ask an orthodontist, I suppose. Another question I have: did you all look around and get second and third opinions before choosing a doctor, or just go with whomever you were referred to by your dentist?

Thanks!
-Vanessa
Personally I think it's always best to get at least one more opinion.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

wating4braces

#8 Post by wating4braces »

Yes, I think it's a good idea to get at least two opinions because we went to an orthodontist that my aunt and uncle had referred me to and I liked it a lot. But, my mom made me get at least one more opinion (I didnt't want to AT ALL because I wanted to get this whole process going) but I did and I'm so glad I did. The second place was much cleaner and had told me I needed expanders, when the first place had not even mentioned it.

Katie