help! irritated tastebuds

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aznfayeth

help! irritated tastebuds

#1 Post by aznfayeth »

This is kinda off topic but I'm freaked out. The back of my tongue has been feeling irritated so I looked in the mirror today and saw large red bumps at the back of my tongue! are they irritated/inflamed tastebuds or just the circumvallate papillae(found the term on google)?
clarity top braces 12/5/04, debanded 1/3/07
bottom braces 4/17/05, debanded 11/26/06
hawley retainer for uppers,
bonded lower retainer

Gel

#2 Post by Gel »

My tongue has been irritated, but it's just because or the metal bands on my molars. My tongue isn't used to them, so I keep rubbing them and it irritates my tongue. I haven't noticed any any inflamation though.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

aznfayeth

#3 Post by aznfayeth »

oh my, it's getting worse. The red bumps at the back of my mouth is giving off a bitter? taste. It also feels weirdly swollen and tingling...
bonded lower retainer

Gel

#4 Post by Gel »

hey, call your ortho, that sounds like a major allergic reaction to the stuff in your mouth. I know that when I take anything with penicillan in it I get major hives, and it sounds like your tongue has hives, really bad.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

ebjones1

#5 Post by ebjones1 »

i know when i went to the ortho for my workup i got a little freaked out - after they did my molds i went to clean all of the gooky stuff out of my mouth, and i saw those little bumps.. i asked the assistant and she told me that they were normal, just something that most people don't notice as it's hard to see that far back on your tongue. however, if they are irritated you should definately call your ortho. good luck!

ebjones1

#6 Post by ebjones1 »

i know when i went to the ortho for my workup i got a little freaked out - after they did my molds i went to clean all of the gooky stuff out of my mouth, and i saw those little bumps.. i asked the assistant and she told me that they were normal, just something that most people don't notice as it's hard to see that far back on your tongue. however, if they are irritated you should definately call your ortho. good luck!

summergirl

#7 Post by summergirl »

its nothing to worry about .It will go away in time just don't use salt water just use warm water .Salt will only make it worse .Your taste buds are irratated ,watch what you eat the next few days no salty or acidy stuff tomatoes ,apples ect.
Summergirl

Gel

#8 Post by Gel »

summergirl wrote:its nothing to worry about .It will go away in time just don't use salt water just use warm water .Salt will only make it worse .Your taste buds are irratated ,watch what you eat the next few days no salty or acidy stuff tomatoes ,apples ect.
Summergirl
I never thought of the acidic stuff iritating, but very true, something else to watch out for right?

Gel

aznfayeth

#9 Post by aznfayeth »

do you think it may be a viral infection? should I go see my primary doctor? It feels a bit hard to breathe today...I dont see how swollen bumps in the back of the tongue can interfere with breathing but there might be more bumps in my throat???
bonded lower retainer

Gel

#10 Post by Gel »

I would, or else call your ortho. I'm allergic to milk, my throat starts to close if I drink it to much, you may be having that type of reaction.

Gel

Helen

#11 Post by Helen »

aznfayeth wrote:do you think it may be a viral infection? should I go see my primary doctor? It feels a bit hard to breathe today...I dont see how swollen bumps in the back of the tongue can interfere with breathing but there might be more bumps in my throat???
Could be.

It sounds to me that you don't mean your papillae circumvallate but your lingual tonsils.

If so... Wow!! :shock: You must be able to open your mouth/trust your tongue very wide!!
As
ebjones1 remarks they are very far back on the tongue. But I know there are people out there who are able to see them. :wink:

There are definitely other tonsils around the throat which can interfere with breathing when they are swollen. I would see your primary doctor if it affects your breathing.

Helen