ceramics or metallics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gsx

ceramics or metallics?

#1 Post by gsx »

Hello everybody
My name is paul, 25, and maybe I will have brackects sooner or later. My teeth is not as shiny as the stars from the tv, and I'm wondering about to fit metallic brackets or ceramic. I prefer the shiny metallic look rather than the yellow wasted ceramic, but I have the question ¿how do you think it will look to me?
Regards
Here my teeth

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

One (actually two) things about ceramic is 1. while you have them on, unless you are REALLY close to the person (in my experience, anyway), the ceramics will just look like a retainer, because you can only see the archwire. 2. However, when it's time to remove the braces, you sometimes have to grind them off because they break into pieces, which is not very pleasant. I've heard that both metal/ceramics work pretty much the same, and I agree with everyone: it's pretty much up to you and your orthodontist to decide which is best for you. Good luck and congratulations on taking the big step!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

gsx

#3 Post by gsx »

thanks 4 all opinions.
I will wait to orthodontist opinion, before choose one or another.
For the moment i'm looking for an ortho (I have visited 2 for the moment)
C U

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

My recommendation would be to go for ceramics at least for the front top six, unless your orthodontist advises otherwise. Because you at least then have the option of semi-invisiblity (with new, clear, unstained ligs - eg for a special occasion when people will be taking photos).

For the rest of the time, if you're worried about yellow staining, get coloured ligs - there are heaps of suggestions in various threads here about what to get. Including "semi-invisbible" colours such as something called "smoke".

Granola

#5 Post by Granola »

If you are interested in ceramics, you can ask the orthos if they offer white wire ties as an option. The ortho I am going to uses ICE ceramics with white (teflon coated) wire ties that don't stain. These are used in place of ligs.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

calley03

#6 Post by calley03 »

I told my ortho I did not want the staining either so they are going to use the white wire ties as well. Granola how invisible are your ice's, I get mine on in about a week.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Granola

#7 Post by Granola »

calley03, I wish I could tell ya! I don't get mine for a few weeks yet. I did see them on someone else, and since they are clear, they looked the same color as this person's teeth. I have done a search for ICE ceramics on this site and was able to locate some photos of people wearing them. HTHs!
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check