Should I jump?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missing_tooth

Should I jump?

#1 Post by missing_tooth »

I'm going to try to keep this short. Basically the question should I get braces? My username should say a lot. Here is the low down. My baby cainin (sp?) tooth that never came out, leaving the adult tooth above. The baby tooth began to break apart and decay, thus it was pulled. Guess what adult tooth never came down. :( That was two years ago. Frankly I'm sick of being afraid to smile, turning this way and that way for pictures. You get the idea. Basically I need braces for my bite and to make room for an adult tooth.

Well folks, it just keeps getting better. Because of my age, it may be fused to the bone, with apparently no way to tell. Though I am going to an oral surgeon just to get his opinion. I'm sure anyone thinking this may be thinking why not get this done? See I had waited this last year so I could have insurance, guess what? It doesn't cover this. And... yes that's right and... I found out my job is being sent to the east coast. What a fun ride this is turning out to be. So, in short, all out of pocket. Although I am leaning tward it is as I feel I'm too young (32) to live the rest of my life this way.

I do have my worries though. Will I be able to get used to 2 years of wearing a retainer? How much do braces hurt when applied? What about after you get them adjusted? Will I talk funny? How many impressions are needed? (They really make me gag) and Yes, I am concerned about looks as well. Somehow I have this vision of a man wearing braces looking dorky. On a side note missing teeth can make one look old rather quickly.

Perhaps I've answered a lot of questions and am just looking for support. In any event that's it in a nut shell. Tomorrow I may post a link to a pic of teeth as they are now.

true_jaat

#2 Post by true_jaat »

Dude you should definitely jump !!! I know how you feel, I pondered over the thought of getting braces for atleast 2 years. And everytime there is an opportunity to smile you get reminded of the fact how sesame your teeth are. After getting them now, I am extremely disspointed that I left this so late (like most people on this forum). I keep thinking if I had only done it 2 years ago, I would have been done by now - so to summarize, just go and get braces, you will not regret it.
The future depends on what we do in the present.

sophielafille

#3 Post by sophielafille »

Hi!
I also contemplated braces for a long time and went through the whole insurance, financial, vanity questions. I finally just did it. Took out a dental loan and did it. I have periodontal problems so I've had alot of dental work done this year, and when the braces are off I'll need a little more, and now like most people my only regret is that I did not start this sooner.

I am not like some of the others here who think that their braces are cute or make them look younger, etc. I hate the way my braces look and because I'm a coffee drinker my teeth are a little "off color" and I know I look like a dork pretty much all the time. A year from now it will be worth it. I'll be able to smile and be confident with my teeth. Get them bleached. They'll look great! People really take for granted nice teeth. Since I've been obsessing about teeth so much lately, I notice everyone's now, and I cannot wait to have beautiful straight healthy teeth!!

Think about it this way, which is what solidified my decision:
A year or two from now you can either have worn these things and done everything you can to fix your teeth, or you can be p-ssed off that you still have bad teeth.

Just do it.
-Sophie.
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

serendipity

#4 Post by serendipity »

Hi :) - I couldn't help but smile when I read your post. You sound exactly the same as I did pre-braces :lol: . I agree with previous posters it’s totally your decision. I will say this though, for me the occasional pain, discomfort and general appearance of braces is totally worth the results. I was completely hung up on how they would look and what people would think :? . But I realised that once I got braces nobody cared and I didn't really care what they thought either - given I don't love the look of them but there is no ounce of regret on my part. The thought that made me “jumpâ€
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

missing_tooth

#5 Post by missing_tooth »

Thanks for all the support guys. Before I get started I'm gunna post a few pics of my teeth.

Here is a smile from a recent photo.

Just a shot showing how bad it can be

Here is my x-ray. You can see that tooth just kind of laying crooked.

After much thought and consideration, I think I'm going to do this. (Assuming the tooth isn't fused to the jaw) I came to this conclusion, do I want this smile when I'm 40? My gut says Noooooo Waaaaaay. This will take a total of 2 years as it is, not including the retainer.

Good news is the insurance will pay 500 bucks, if I do this pronto before I loose my job. I'm still trying to decide if I should do this now, or after I find a new job. argh... Part of me says, do it now while insurance will pay some of the cost. The other part of me says don't be stupid, who knows how long you'll be unemployed. Anyone think braces will affect my appearence and landing a job. ( I work with computers in a professional environment. )

I do worry about regret though, 6k is a lot of money. Especially when your making payments and unemployed. So torn on this one. I'm gunna have to sleep on it.

missing_tooth

#6 Post by missing_tooth »

Mine is lying horizontally above the gap and it's been decided by the oral surgeon it shouldn't be exposed or removed!
I pray that's not the case with me.

On a another note, my wife saw the x-ray and exclaimed, how shocked she was to see a tooth there. She went on to say she didn't think I had a tooth there because how could a tooth, "not come down?" She goes on to say, no wonder it can't come down. The whole time I'm thinking, well duh? Guess I've seen that tooth up there in the x-rays since I was kid.
Last edited by missing_tooth on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dena

#7 Post by dena »

Hi there! I think your teeth look pretty good already--I mean I see why you want braces, but I expected it to look like a more difficult case.

I just wanted to add more encouragement. I wouldn't advocate going into debt that's going to really hurt you, but if you want it and think you can, DO IT. I'm really scared, too, but I know I'll be happy later. Good luck.

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

I just wanted to add more encouragement. I wouldn't advocate going into debt that's going to really hurt you, but if you want it and think you can, DO IT. I'm really scared, too, but I know I'll be happy later. Good luck.
I've been credit card free for a couple of years. :) The ortho I went to takes payments interest free. It's more my job loss I'm worried about. It all end in February. When are you scheduled to be braced?

-john-

joplin

#9 Post by joplin »

Missing_tooth, your impacted canine does not seem to lie too far from the surface of you gum. I'd give it a try and let the surgeon expose the canine and the ortho to try and lure it out in the open with braces. If it won't move, then on to plan B.
I had two impacted canines I had to give up, because there were too many risky what-if's involved in the option of trying to bring them down. To my eye your case looks a lot less complicated. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.