Extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

spogal22

Extraction

#1 Post by spogal22 »

I just had 4 of the bicuspid teeth extracted over the weekend. Now I look in the mirror and panic. My top teeth weren't that crowded to begin with and now i have two gaping holes. i'm worried i wont have enough teeth to move into those positions. Has anyone else experienced this extraction anxiety?

drazda

#2 Post by drazda »

Did you have an overbite? If so, then your teeth will be pushed back to close the gaps. I might also be getting 4 bicuspids extracted. Either way, the gaps will close more and more with each adjustment. Good luck!
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

nicholes21

oh yes

#3 Post by nicholes21 »

oh yes, definitely. i had my extractions of the first bicuspids february 15. but my worries are different. i have an overbite and overjet and a strained mentalis (my teeth stick out so my lower lip has to reach up to meet the top one, this wrinkles my chin, very unflattering profile imo :x ). i'm worried that the space my teeth have to move back is not far enough, lol. my treatment consists of moving the canines back first (or whatever the third tooth from the center is called) and then moving back the front four. it seemed like the teeth moved fairly quickly in the beginning but not so much now, but note i've only recently begun being extremely diligent with this braces thing, wearing my bands at night etc (i also missed my aug/sept appts). but i am anxious. instead of gaping holes on the side, i now have gaping holes on the front, :( . or at least at the top. the bottom hasn't much moved at all. also i'm worried because i have an uneven amount of teeth. when i was younger i couldn't afford root canals so i had the third teeth from the back removed top and bottom on my right side. eventually i'm pulling the very back teeth on the left side to even things out. so there's way more space on the right side than the left. i'm terrified my centerline will be off. my ortho said everything should be fine, but i get the feeling he gets annoyed when i ask so many questions. i think i'll be more comfortable once the canines are finished moving and we can start moving these front teeth. by the way, when i got the teeth extracted i was literaly crying in the dental surgeon's chair because it had such a finality to it, the point of no return (i still keep my teeth in the medicine cabinet). i say all that to say, once things start moving it will be okay. the braces are on so people know you're having work done so it doesn't look so bad (i'm probably the most unnarcisstic person so I don't think i'd care if it did.

Gel

#4 Post by Gel »

Many many many times. Sometimes that is all I can think about. There's crowding, but now I have these huge gaps in my mouth, when will they close? If you trust your ortho then let him do the worrying. I cried for hours after I had my four 2nd bicuspids removed. I was so sad to see my beautiful teeth gone and in their place these ugly gashing holes.
I just keep looking at my teeth and see the movement, but lately the gaps seem larger than ever. Can't wait til my first adjustment to see what will happen next as progress does seem to be slowing down a little.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

felicity_and_reece_mommie

#5 Post by felicity_and_reece_mommie »

I am also getting my first bicuspids (my 4's) exstracted on the top. I'm worried about gaps too, but the way I look at it is when I get done with all of this my teeth will be perfect!!!! Question: Did you get yours exstracted before or after you got your braces? I'm also worried about having a big huge gap in my front 2 teeth.

nicholes21

#6 Post by nicholes21 »

mine were extracted 2 days before bracing. also, don't worry about gap in the front thats not how the teeth move. in fact, i had a small but noticeable gap in the front two teeth which closed up in like a month, ironically. :D

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

Yup i had 4 out too. The gaps for me have already started to get smaller, goody! I didn't like smiling at first as i was so aware of my gaps showing. Now that the braces are on I don't have that problem, I smile and show off everything. :lol:
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

tmitchell

Extraction

#8 Post by tmitchell »

I am 32 and this is my first experience with braces. I too am worried about my upcoming extractions of both upper first bicuspids. My front upper teeth are not really crowded, but one of my central incisors is turned slightly inward. I am a Class II with an overjet and an overbite. My ortho said that when the extractions are done the gaps will eventually close to no more than 1 millimeter. I just can't picture my front six teeth filling in that much of a gap from the extractions. I'm also afraid that my upper teeth will look somewhat sunken in if they are moved back that far and that my smile will not be as full. Does anyone else have this fear? Also, did you have general or local anesthesia for your extractions? I would rather be awake if it is not too gruesome...lol! Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D
~ Top braces on 12/20/05 ~
~ Bottom braces on 3/14/06 ~