Staining

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laura

Staining

#1 Post by Laura »

I have been so careful trying to eat food that will not stain my ceramic braces. Yesterday I ate a cereal bar and whatever was in it it has turned some of the elastics a horribe flourescent yellow colour...gross. I have been brushing to try and tone it down.

Does anyone have any tips here as to how I can tone the colour down????/

brandee987

#2 Post by brandee987 »

Laura this happened to my ligs last week when I ate some chicken soup. After a couple days the yellowy-staining faded somewhat.. :)
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

Some people here seem to reduce staining by regular brushing with whitening toothpaste, but I doubt it could totally rid ultra bright yellow.

Watch for food colourings in all the stuff you eat - it's often packed into places you wouldn't expect. Eg E102 - tartrazine yellow, or sunset yellow. If you're worried, try to eat the food just inside and at the back of your mouth - only use your side teeth to chew, that will help keep the front ligs cleaner. And drink through a straw when you can. This works for me.

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

On this subject does anyone appear to be getting staining of the teeth themselves? Since getting my powerchains (which are behind my wires because I have Damon 3s) It's even more difficult to get in there to clean them properly and my teeth are looking decidedly yellow. Anyone got any comments on this - I'm not sure whether whitening toothpaste will be a good idea or not. Anyone had any permanent staining after braces?

xx
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

smileysue

#5 Post by smileysue »

Yes Looby Lou, I have got staining of my lower teeth. I have linguals behind my upper teeth which go over my lower teeth and since I've had them my lowers have gone very yellow/brown and nasty. I'm going back to the ortho on Thursday so will ask him then. It must be something to do with a reaction with the braces to something I eat, drink or smoke (I know I shouldn't). I think it's worse after tea and coffee so I'm trying to cut down on that and brush my teeth straight after.