Has anyone been able to have crowns bracketed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Granola

Has anyone been able to have crowns bracketed?

#1 Post by Granola »

I am getting braced in January, and was told they could possibly use brackets on all of my teeth. From everything I've read here, it seems likely that the brackets won't adhere to my (molar) crowns.

I'm hoping it might be possible, but wondering if anyone actually has been able to do this? TIA.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I was told they can use a bracket on my crown (front of my mouth) with a special kind of glue. They said it would be more likely than other brackets to come off, but they think it should do ok. Good luck!!
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

metalmouth moi

crowns

#3 Post by metalmouth moi »

Hi Granola and Calley
I have 2 crowns that were bracketed. They were ok until they put on coil springs and elastics,then they started to pop. Had one replaced 3 times....
So, last Friday I got spacers, and this Friday bands are going on.
Good luck, and let us know how you make out :D
Moi
metal braces upper and lower May 12/05

Shawnie

#4 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Granola

I have a crown with just a bracket, and it's only a temporary crown. (Temporary crown permanently fixed due to insurance. Will get the permanent one after braces come off) The first time they put all my brackets on, they didn't use anything special on the crown. So when they put the wire in it just popped off. We then waited till my six week appointment and at that time he roughed up the surface so he could get a good bond, and I think used different glue. He was able to rough up the surface because it didn't matter since I was replacing it when I get the braces off anyway. So far so good, but it has only been about three weeks since it was put on.

Good luck! Maybe you too will be lucky enough not to have spacers and molar bands. At least you know that it is possible now.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

lucyloo6201

#5 Post by lucyloo6201 »

I have 3 molars that are capped, and 2 have stuck with no problems whatsoever. The 3rd one has popped off about 4 times in the past couple of months. He finally had to rough up the outside of the cap a bit and reapply. So far so good. If this doesnt work, dont know what is next. I do have the Damon 3's, and like I said, no trouble on 2 of them(bottom), trouble with 1(upper). They do have to use a different bonding process to get them to stick.
Good luck!
Damon 3 brackets, upper and lower.
Braced 1/19/05.
Expected Treatment lenght: 2 years.
1 upper bicuspid extraction to occur 2/10/05.

mackenzie

#6 Post by mackenzie »

My front tooth is fake and the bracket on it popped off once when I got a really heavy wire but I don't think they would bond it because its in the front and that would look weird.

Aine

#7 Post by Aine »

I have 2 crowns on back molars and I have not had any problems at all so far. I have been braced for about 5 months now.

Gel

#8 Post by Gel »

wow, you guys all sound lucky to me. My ortho wouldn't even consider putting just brackets on. I have two molar crowns, one top left one bottom right. He just said its bands or nothing. I askd him about it and he told me it would be less painful this way in the long run. The worst thing that I can tell about it is the stupid spacers were not fun at all.

It is better to aim for the stars and land in a tree than to aim for a tree and land in the mud.
Gel

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Brackets kept coming off my crown.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

NotBob1

#10 Post by NotBob1 »

My Ortho said that she will only do bands on the crowns. (I have three) I guess I didn't know that they did direct bonds to molars. So now I am wondering if she is going to do all bands on the molars or just the crowns..??

So I take it from all of this that the adhesive with a direct bond will not hold to a non enameled tooth.

H Rogers

#11 Post by H Rogers »

Hi Granola :D
I have my second molar on the right side is a crown and when I got a bracket put on last month it popped off 4 days later :? so my Orthodontist put a band. He says he has tried all the special glues and will usually try the glue first but he always ends up putting a band over a crown.