Specific Vitamin? Searching for the name.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amychelle

Specific Vitamin? Searching for the name.

#1 Post by amychelle »

A friend of mine's adult daughter also has braces and has had a lot of trouble with sores in her mouth. Her ortho told her to take a vitamin for it with a specific name (she believes starts with an "L") but cannont remember the name of it.

I know Vitamin B and salt water rinses help. I've also heard of allum, but does anyone know what I might be talking about? I was wanting to do some research online about it and also try it to see if it would help with the sores around my wisdom teeth extractions.

Any guesses would help.

Thanks in advance.

AustinWired

#2 Post by AustinWired »

It's called L-Lysine. Hope it helps!
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

ebjones1

#3 Post by ebjones1 »

L-Lysine is amazing! As a kid I'd get REALLY bad chapped lips in the winter - To the point where I couldn't even talk because they'd split and bleed horribly. I took L-Lysine and it healed my lips completely, so I can only imagine they'd help with mouth sores. They're really cheap, too.

I'm really glad this was brought up - I'm getting my braces in January and will definetly buy a big ol' bottle of these vitamins!

dena

#4 Post by dena »

does anyone know if it's okay to take l-lysine daily? i take it when i develop cold sores but if it's alright to take it daily, i may start once the braces are on just to keep things going smoothly.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

Yes, it's okay to take it daily.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

H Rogers

#6 Post by H Rogers »

Yes, its okay to take daily. :D
My husband and I take it daily and when I have sores from the braces or cold sores then I take it 3 times a day. One with each meal and they heal sooner.