Invisible Ratainer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

calley03

Invisible Ratainer

#1 Post by calley03 »

Has anyone used an invisible retainer before, or know how good they are? That is what my orthodontist uses after braces are off. Just curious. Kelly
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

felicity_and_reece_mommie

#2 Post by felicity_and_reece_mommie »

My ortho uses the invisiable retainer too. I've known people that have had them and I never heard them complain about them.

calley03

#3 Post by calley03 »

My orthodontist said that I will wear my top and bottom retainer for 1 year after my braces come off all the time, and then for the rest of my life I will wear my retainers at night. I will also have a permenent retainer put behind my front two teeth. That part is kinda scary, I am sure it will be fine though. Kelly
Impressions on 12/5/05

wating4braces

#4 Post by wating4braces »

I haven't heard any complaints from people I know about the essix retainers (though I have heard a few from people on this site :lol: ). When I get them at the end of treatment, I have to wear them 24/7 for the first year (except to eat and brush) and then I get really thick ones to wear only at night.

Katie

calley03

#5 Post by calley03 »

Thanks Katie!! I'll have to look up some previous discussions and see for sure, I guess if my orthodontist says it's the best kind he must have his reasons.
Impressions on 12/5/05

HollyDontSpend

#6 Post by HollyDontSpend »

I like my Essix retainer. The only thing that I don't like is knowing that one day it's gonna be cloudy from any brushing on it. They get little scratches from brushing it, but sometimes just a RetainerBrite is not enough. Other than that, no one can tell when I wear it and at night it keeps me from clenching (although that is not the norm).
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

swellen

#7 Post by swellen »

I have an Essix (clear) and a Hawley (plastic plate with wire) and I alternate them at night. I prefer the Essix but I grind my teeth a little so I've chewed a couple of holes in it. That's why I got the Hawley, actually - it was supposed to replace the Essix and combat the grinding problem, but I like the Essix a lot more so I alternate them to make the Essix last longer. It does need replacing now though... sigh... they're not cheap.

S_Ranger

#8 Post by S_Ranger »

I had the clear retainer and my teeth relapsed enough for me to get braces again.

calley03

#9 Post by calley03 »

S_Ranger how long did you wear you braces. I can't imagine being done then relapsing. Thanks, Kelly
Impressions on 12/5/05

AustinWired

#10 Post by AustinWired »

Ranger- Did you wear the retainer as prescribed? I can't imagine how your teeth would move with an Essix retainer. I'm only required to wear mine for 12 hours a day, and they seem to be doing their job pretty well. Of course, I've only had my braces off for a week... I just don't want to have to go through this all over again someday!
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

mtbrncofn

#11 Post by mtbrncofn »

swellen wrote:I have an Essix (clear) and a Hawley (plastic plate with wire) and I alternate them at night. I prefer the Essix but I grind my teeth a little so I've chewed a couple of holes in it. That's why I got the Hawley, actually - it was supposed to replace the Essix and combat the grinding problem, but I like the Essix a lot more so I alternate them to make the Essix last longer. It does need replacing now though... sigh... they're not cheap.
I'm a grinder too and that worries me because I am slated for an Essix too. I'm pretty sure though that when I went in for my consultation that the lady told me that if I wore my retainers faithfully for the rest of my life at night ( after the initial every day period is over ) that they would replace them if I ever needed it. I think that included grinding through them and other things?

If you don't mind, how much do they cost to replace?
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

swellen

#12 Post by swellen »

mtbrncofn wrote:If you don't mind, how much do they cost to replace?
Well, I haven't replaced it yet but I believe it's around the $300-$400 mark.

AustinWired

#13 Post by AustinWired »

Mine only cost $125 to replace. He said they would last about 2 years.
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

mtbrncofn

#14 Post by mtbrncofn »

Wow, that seems spendy for a bit of plastic. I hope I'm right about my ortho's practice concerning them. I think I'll mention the whole grinding thing next time I'm in just to check and see what he thinks. I'm nowhere near that point, but I'd like to know.

Thanks for the prices, guys.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

swellen

#15 Post by swellen »

mtbrncofn wrote:Wow, that seems spendy for a bit of plastic.
Well... it's a bit of plastic that's holding your $5,000 investment in place!