Removal of Ceramic Braces painful?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bckydgardnr

#16 Post by bckydgardnr »

I have ceramics on top 6 teeth and metals on the rest. The metal are the kind that have the snap closurs so ligature aren't needed. When I started this journey almost a year ago, I was so self-concious about my teeth that I wanted the ceramic because I thought it would be less noticeable. I love my ceramics for 2 weeks after my adjustment, then HATE them for the next 4 weeks. No matter how careful you are about what you eat, drink, etc. the ligs stain and turn yellow. Also, because the ceramics are smaller, when you need powerchains, you may have to get zinc string instead of the typical power chain. The zinc string turned yellow almost immediately. If I could do it again, I would probably just go with metal or the damon 3 (I think thats what they are called) the ones that are half metal and half ceramic. Although, at that stage with my teeth, no one could tell me different. Good luck!

gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

decisionmade

#17 Post by decisionmade »

well the metal vs. ceramic discussion can go on and on..but of course I feel compelled to add my 2 cents:)..I have ceramic top and bottom and am very happy...I have wire ties instead of ligatures--so no staining...ceramic brackets staining is a myth..only the ligs stain. I also have had power chains with no staining..I am more than 2 mos now with braces and am very pleased...from afar they are barely noticable and I am definately less self conscious than I would be with metal...

just make the decion that is right for YOU.
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

nvcarissa

#18 Post by nvcarissa »

I didn't mean to say that my brackets stained. I know it is only the ligs that stain, but next to the clear brackets, this was a problem for me. But I could have even dealt with that. The larger size of the ceramics, and the fact that over three months I never really got used to them, was the main reason I switched over to metal. As with anything in life, YMMV.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.