wisdom teeth question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenn17780

wisdom teeth question

#1 Post by Jenn17780 »

Hi everyone!
Has anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed will still having braces on? I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed last week with my braces on. My fourth top wisdom teeth will be removed later (next year). Since I'm having them removed in an uneven set, I was wondering if my smile will be off-centered? Has any been through this?
If anyone out there is planning to get their wisdom teeth pulled, I suggest getting it done before getting braces! I wish I did! It was hard trying to keep my braces clean (brushing and flossing), while being all swollen.
On a positive note, having braces/having your braces tightened is better than having your wisdom teeth pulled! Those of you who never had to have your wisdom teeth pulled, I envy you guys! =).

naomi

#2 Post by naomi »

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed on friday. You're right about it being difficult to clean your braces with all of the swelling etc. I was told I could wait until after orthodontic treatment to have my wisdom teeth removed but they were driving me crazy so I'm glad I got it out of the way. It would have been MUCH easier to do this BEFORE braces but my orthodontist thought it would be ok to put it off till after my orthodontic treatment, even though all 4 wisdom teeth were impacted :roll: .
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

swan

Re: wisdom teeth question

#3 Post by swan »

Jenn17780 wrote:Hi everyone!
Has anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed will still having braces on? I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed last week with my braces on. My fourth top wisdom teeth will be removed later (next year). Since I'm having them removed in an uneven set, I was wondering if my smile will be off-centered? Has any been through this?
My upper wisdom teeth were removed a long time ago. So I had only the two lower ones, one growing normally, one impacted, left.
The only thing that happened over the years was that the wisdom tooth grew out just a tiny bit more than my other teeth because it didn't have a tooth opposite. It doesn't have any effect on the smile, you won't have a problem.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

Ledatru

#4 Post by Ledatru »

I had my braces on and everything when they did it

They commented on it

"Wanna remove the wires and brackets?"
"umm nah... If they fall out, they'll fall out.. we'll send them back his regular dentist. But these little contraptions are getting in my way"

But yeah they didn't break anything of mine
Ledatru

naomi

#5 Post by naomi »

When I got my wisdom teeth out, I realised shortly afterwards that I was missing a bracket off my bottom molar. I think they must have knocked it off when they were pulling the wisdom tooth out on that side but I don't know where it went. They didn't mention knocking a bracket off. Maybe I ate it? :lol:

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

**shinyhappybraceface**

#6 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

I had all four of my impacted wisdom teeth out the day after Thanksgiving. I was told that they could come out before, during or after braces, but I highly recommend getting it out of the way before you're braced, if at all possible.

My experience was miserable and they had to remove a bracket that was broken (due to my carelessness the day before) because it was in their way anyhow. With all the swelling, I couldn't floss or brush comfortably for most of a week
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

Jenn17780

#7 Post by Jenn17780 »

naomi: Maybe I ate it?
oh no! :shock: LOL. Did you ever find out if you did eat it? It's so funny, when I read that I went to my mirror and double checked if any of my brackets were missing.

I missed coming to this message board! Being without a computer for a month sucks! But thanks everyone who responded!

Are you feeling better now **shinyhappybraceface**? I hope so.

**shinyhappybraceface**

#8 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

Much better - thanks!
Man, for about a week, I thought I'd die.

:lol:
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

naomi

#9 Post by naomi »

Jenn17780 wrote:
naomi: Maybe I ate it?
oh no! :shock: LOL. Did you ever find out if you did eat it? It's so funny, when I read that I went to my mirror and double checked if any of my brackets were missing.

I missed coming to this message board! Being without a computer for a month sucks! But thanks everyone who responded!

Are you feeling better now **shinyhappybraceface**? I hope so.
I still don't know if I ate it or if the oral surgeon knocked it off and removed it. Either way, I think it's kinda funny that I got you checking to see if all your brackets were still in tact :lol: .

Bono