Braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lucifina

Braced!

#1 Post by Lucifina »

Yay!!! I did it! :-#)
Long version is on my site! Complete w/blog and pics! :computer:
Short version. No pain at all when they went on and the pain after is quite tolerable :P I got all worked up about nothing! I thought I would be actual pain. Having dry socket for a month is pain... this pressure is nothing! I have migraines though so I guess my pain scale may be different :roll: Anyway! It is over now and just beginning! Yay! I will not be getting my teeth yanked out...I will be now looking into surgery though :shock: ...see my blog for more on that!
The only thing that I find really irritating is the fact that there is something on my teeth! It just feels like it should not be there and it is driving me nuts :-+ Also I will do my teeth for 15 mins or more so I know they are clean but they still feel dirty. Does anyone else feel this way? I think it is just because the braces are stuck to my teeth...my mom tells me I will get used to that feeling soon and not even notice. I hope so! :D
~Luci~ Image
It will all be worth it in the end!
UpdatedSiteImage

Lucifina

#2 Post by Lucifina »

Why thank you kk! :D I added pics of my dog today.
That feeling is the hardest! I want to rip them off! This is day three now and I am fine. They are still annoying though. My husband said he was surprised that I have not been whining! My ortho told me that when I come in for an adjustment they will let me floss really good w/out the wire on before they put it back if I want to. They said they know how hard it is to get in there w/the braces on. The assistant told me that rinsing during lunch would be enough and not to worry about it. I am just not gonna eat during the day. I need to lose weight anyway so this will be helpful. I have not been putting the wax on during the day except on that one spot where there is a wire digging into the side of my cheek and my lips and cheeks seem to be doing well. I am putting up recopies on my website that are easy to eat as I come across them. I love to cook! I don't think I will have to change my eating that much though just nothing too hard like chips or popcorn and hard veggies I gotta cut up really small. As far as the surgery, I have not found very much info on the internet about it at all. Well I am gonna try to sleep tonight w/out a sleeping pill :-Z
~Luci~ Image
UpdatedSiteImage

sophielafille

#3 Post by sophielafille »

congratulations!

PS: I use a whitening toothpaste every few days because I'm a coffee drinker.

-Sophie
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

eoberhauser

#4 Post by eoberhauser »

First of all Congrats on getting braces. I can tell you that I know EXACTLY what you are talking about regarding the weird feeling in your mouth. I wanted to rip them off myself! I equate it to when I got my tounge pierced in High School. It's not that it hurt so bad as that there was a foreign object in my mouth that didn't belong. Other than that I had a terrible itching sensation that went away in a few days - THANK GOD!

Also regarding the whitening toothpaste - My boyfriend had braces as a young teenager and he said that when he got his braces off, they were actually whiter where the brackets were. Perhaps we don't get to brush as hard when we have braces or can't clean them as well. Maybe whitening toothpastes are ok? Also, I have been using whitening toothpaste since I was buying my own toothpaste, so how much more white could they really get? I still get the feeling I'm doing something wrong when I use whitening toothpaste. I think I'll call my Ortho today and ask - I'll let you know what he says.

Lucifina

#5 Post by Lucifina »

OMG! They ITCH!!!!! :-+ It is horrible! :-(( The itches won't stop!!! I now know what you mean about the itching! It started at work this morning! It is like an internal itch that won't go away!
I thought that you should not use whitening tooth paste because it would whiten around your braces...I am gonna get them whitened when they are liberated anyway though...whenever that it!
~Luci~ Image
UpdatedSiteImage

eoberhauser

#6 Post by eoberhauser »

For the itching, I would drink diet soda and kind of swish it around my gums, the carbonation really gives you a break from the itching sensations. Obviously depending on your situation, you might want to use a clear soda ;)

Also, I called my orthodontists office today and they said whitening toothpaste is not a problem at all. I'm sure every ortho has an opinion on this, but this was mine's. By they way, I am nearing two weeks in braces and I love them now. I swear the itching goes away - though for just a second I thought it would be like that for two years. GULP!

Lucifina

#7 Post by Lucifina »

I love my Diet Coke, can't live w/out it...now I live w/it through a straw :roll: That is an excellent idea! I just tried it and it worked :D Does it itch so bad because my teeth are being moved around? I still have had no real pain and I only need to wax one spot where the hook was getting my cheek. I never noticed my overbite before but now that I have these braces on it seems so much more noticeable. Maybe it won't seem so bad when I get the bottoms on too.
~Luci~ Image
UpdatedSiteImage

hannah164

#8 Post by hannah164 »

Congratulations on getting braced! :-)o :dance: :-#) :jump: :banana:

The weird feeling of braces does go away but I defnitely know how you feel. I also feel like after brushing my teeth that they don't look clean even though they are! And when I'm at my ortho's I can brush my teeth forever before I sit down but I still feel like they're not clean! :shock: I can see wiht my bottom braces on how bad my bite really is! Does anyone else now notice that after you get braces you really see all the problems with your teeth or is it just me? :wink:

Lucy: Time is flying by quickly I mean I've already had my braces for a year and a half but I know that I'm actually going to have them for much longer than planned so it doesn't really matter. It will probably close to 4 years when I'm finally done! :shock: But hopefully the rest of your treatments fly by quickly wiht great results! :thumbsup:

Lucifina: I also suffer from severely chronic migraines and I have for the past 8 years! :cry: :x I feel like I've tried almost everything out there! Just curious, but what do you use for your migraines!

Thanks!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Lucifina

#9 Post by Lucifina »

Hannah, I have tried a lot of stuff...
Right now I have Maxalt as needed which works but puts me in a coma :-Z I have Imatrex pills which work great IF I catch the mig in time and the Imetrex Shot IF I catch it in time. I hate giving myself the injection though. It isn't the needle so much as it is that the medicine itself is soooo painful going in... but it does work really well w/in like 20- 30 mins if you hit it at the right time. Other wise if I miss the window I just go w/the Maxalt and pass out an hope for it to be gone when I come to :roll: I am now on Topamax and have been for 2 months now...I don't want to get to hopeful but :wink: ...This stuff is a miracle! I have not had one since! except when I forgot to take a pill one day and then the next day I thought I took it but I really didn't cuz it was still in my pill box :oops: so I was off and it threw my system and I got a bad one. I am on 50 mgs of Amitriptyline at night and 50 mgs of Topamax in the morning and 50 at night and this is my perfect ocean. I swear by the Topamax. My doc wanted to wean me of the Amitriptyline once I was on the Topamax though and I tried but it didn't work so I take both. If you get them a lot you may want to ask your doc about it. I was at about 2 - 3 a week before this now they are basically gone and I feel like I have my life back. :D
~Luci~ Image
UpdatedSiteImage

hannah164

#10 Post by hannah164 »

Thanks so much for the info. lucifina!

I get migraines about 3-4 times a week and they are totally controlling my life! :x I'm so sick of it! I have tried Imitrex and it was working except I was getting triptan rebound migraines because I took it to often! :shock: So now I can't have that!

Right now my doctor only has me on Migranal nasal spray. THe problem is that I get migraines so often that I'm going to get addicted to that one too if I take it for every migraine! :?

Topamax, hmmmm.... that sounds familiar. Maybe I've tried it? I'll ask my doctor about it next time! :)

I'm also taking amitriptyline at 70 mg a night and I know when I don't take it I defnitely get a migraine! I'm also on beta blockers at night. I swear I've tried everthing out there, every medicine under the sun, biofeedback, acupuncture, homeopathy, and lots of others! :shock:

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Lucifina

#11 Post by Lucifina »

Hannah I am taking this to the off topic :D
Don't know about you but I could say a lot about migs!
~Luci~ Image
UpdatedSiteImage