2nd day with braces...ouch

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hanna

2nd day with braces...ouch

#1 Post by hanna »

Hi everyone. I just found this board and wanted to say hi. Today is my 2nd day with braces and I am not sure if I am prepared to deal with this for 30 months. The braces aren't so bad, it is this thing they put on the top of my mouth that is killing me...a wire that goes from one molar on one side to the one on the other side. The wire sits at the roof of my mouth and my tongue is suffering because of it. Whenever I swallow or even talk my tongue hits it and now my tongue has two sores on it...and I talk with a lisp now! Please tell me that this will get easier!!! I want a beautiful smile, but right now I am in serious pain and look like I'm 13 again and I'm 28! Argh!

So does it get easier?

ganeshacake

#2 Post by ganeshacake »

Hi hanna, I really felt the same as you the 2nd day of being braced... I'm also 28 and of course I regret the day in my 16 that I decided to give an end to my 9 month orthodontic treatment... :cry:
2nd time using braces in a different country is like a completely new experience, I decided ceramic this time and I tell you, some days are harder than others but you should have a lot of patience.
about your wire, maybe you need to tell your ortho to trim it, sometimes I have the same problem that the wire is poking the skin in my mouth and sores become to appear.... you need to make it cut by your ortho or put some WAX, something that I can't live without this days... ask for WAX, really helps. Also when I feel bad this forum gives you a lot of support....
Don't worry sure It will get easier with time!!
cheers

Clo

#3 Post by Clo »

Hi hanna,

I think you are indeed having a TPA. I had one for 6 months, looked like
this :

All I can say, don't panic and be a bit patient. I know the first weeks are
hard, but I promise it gets better A LOT. For me, it was quite painful the
second week, and then suddenly, after 10 days, all pain went away. After
that I got very quickly totally used to it. I can even say more. When,
after some months, my TPA broke (jesus, my ortho said, I have never
seen that before) I experienced the reverse problem. I felt better when it
was in. It somehow gave support to those molars. I only had to miss it
for some hours before I got a new one. But I was relieved to have it back.
So, believe me, you will feel better very soon. And now you belong to a
group of people that has some kind of build-in tonguescraper ... isn't that
handy :roll: ...
Best of luck !!
Clo.

TuZZi

#4 Post by TuZZi »

I have a TPA as well, and for the entire first day, I felt like gagging no matter what I was doing. It got better the second day, and I only felt like gagging when I took a drink of something or ate... the 3rd day only when eating, and by the 4th day, I was totally used to it and it didn't bother me at all (unless I was eating noodles.)

I've now had it for 2 months, and eventhough I have an inprint of the TPA on my tongue, and it scrapes once and a while... seeing the results of my other teeth moving are worth it. I have tons of room now for my front teeth to straighten out, and without the TPA my molars or other side teeth may have moved into those spots instead, so I'm kind of glad I have one now.

Yes, they are a pain in the butt at first, but you'll get used to it, and it's definately there for a reason.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

hanna

#5 Post by hanna »

Yes it is the TPA that is killing me. I hope my tongue toughens up soon. This morning I woke up and my tongue has these two bumps on it from where it hits the TPA when I swallow. I hope and pray I get used to this soon. It is painful, I think my ortho should prescribe codeine or something when you first get a TPA in. These Ibuprofen just aren't cutting it. Oh and now developed canker sore things on the insides of my cheeks...thank goodness for that wax stuff.

Thanks for the words of support. I'll just need to toughen up a bit I guess.

zeroprobe

#6 Post by zeroprobe »

my tpa has a really smooth plate that is slotted in at the roof of my mouth, I can hardly notice it.

bad picture I know but I was wondering if everyone has the smooth plate?
Last edited by zeroprobe on Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanna

#7 Post by hanna »

zeroprobe wrote:my tpa has a really smooth plate that is slotted in at the roof of my mouth, I can hardly notice it.

bad picture I know but I was wondering if everyone has the smooth plate?
is it a clear thing? I cant really tell, I see metal and shiny...so maybe that is it...a clear piece. If that is the case...I WANT ONE! I am seriously having problems with the TPA, my tongue has camel humps on each side and is all tender and was bleeding this morning. I need one of those plates you have and some vicodin or codein...haha...then I'll be good.

zeroprobe

#8 Post by zeroprobe »

you dont feel the metal at the top and yes its clear