Nothing but problems since being braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bethne3

Nothing but problems since being braced

#1 Post by bethne3 »

I have been in the ortho's office 9x in the past 30 days...here is a rundown of what I've been going through.

November 14-All 4 wisdoms removed
November 18-Developed a dry socket and was back in the office to get the socket irrigated and filled with this icky goop stuff.
November 22-Upper expander and upper braces put on. We were supposed to have my lowers put on too but the lower expander would not fit. So, they put spacers in between my lower molars to make some room.
November 23-One of the spacers fell out. Back to the office.
November 24-Another spacer fell out. Back to the office.
November 28-Lower braces & expander put on
December 29-Bracket fell off. Back in the office
December 7-Upper expander key got stuck and then bent. Appliance felt as if it was shifted and was pushing horribly against the sides of my teeth. Made an emergency appointment and found that the expander had broken.
December 8-Upper expander removed. New impressions taken so they could order new expander. Took out upper wire and a few brackets and replaced wire. Now only my front 6 teeth are braced.

My next appointment is on the 30th of December to get the new expander put back in and to finish bracing the uppers. My very first adjustment is January 21.

All I can say is UGH.
I feel like I am now back to square one with my upper expander. I had developed a space in between my two front teeth, which I've read meant that the appliance was working, but now that whole has closed back up. I was finally started to get used to it being there but now it's gone. I must say I LOVE not having it in but knowing that this puts me back a few weeks is very frustrating.

There are days when I really get frustrated & upset. I wish that this whole experience could be easier but I guess these things happen...
4 Wisdoms Removed 11/14/05
Upper Teeth Braced/Expander 11/22/05
Lower Teeth Braced/Expander 11/28/05

swan

#2 Post by swan »

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
That really sucks.
I hope it'll go a bit smoother from now on.

Is your wisdom tooth socket doing ok now?
Was the bracket that fell off on a regular tooth or a crown?
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

I am so sorry to hear about your difficulties. Hopefully things will go better after your 12/30 visit.

(Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!)

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Jenn17780

#4 Post by Jenn17780 »

Hey bethne3,
Hang in there! At least you got all 4 of your wisdom teeth removed at once and you don't have to go back! :D

I hope you're feeling better!! Keep saying it'll be worth it in the end!

dkt3

#5 Post by dkt3 »

I know a little bit about how you feel. I woke up at 1 am to find yet another bracket off so back to the ortho again. This is now my sixth! Already my teeth are hurting because they are moving back... :(

bethne3

#6 Post by bethne3 »

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I do have a few things to be thankful for, 1. my dry socket is healed and 2. I live only 2 minutes from my orthodontist's office

I am going to try and post pictures of my teeth pre-braces and then keep them updated with my progress, as slow or fast as that may be!

Evelyn

#7 Post by Evelyn »

ah yes...the one word that seems to be synonymous with braces...setbacks. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that! At least, though, your wisdom teeth are out and done now, never to bother you again.

Looking on the bright side, I find that all of the setbacks that we go through with braces and whatever else may be going on in your mouth really do make the end result all the sweeter. I know if everything had gone according to plan for me, I really wouldn't have given a hoot about my teeth after the braces were off except that I could comfortably play clarinet. However, having gone through so many setbacks it really makes you appreciate your teeth when things do go right, and trust me when I say that the end result will be tenfold sweeter if you've gone through hell and high water to get to it.

See it as a blessing in disguise...blessing may be a bit of a strong word, but I speak from experience when I say that the satisfaction that you get after going through so much to get it is so incredibly worth the hike to get there.

Keep your eyes on the prize, xoxo Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

bethne3

#8 Post by bethne3 »

Eve,
Thank you soooo much. You are exactly right. I think I need to think that way from now on.
You really cheered me up. Thank you!

Bethany

fins

#9 Post by fins »

So sorry you had such a rough start. Sometimes there are a lot of bumps in the road at the beginning. I had some myself so I know. Before you know it you will be half way through your treatment. Just keep thinking how nice your smile will be at the end.
fins

lesdents

#10 Post by lesdents »

So sorry! That all stinks!

Just a question though:

What did dry socket feel like and how did it start? How were you sure you had it?

Thanks. (I'm one week past two upper extractions, and I have more coming in January, then wisdom teeth extractions will be necessary within a year. I want to be sure that if I ever start developing it I will be able to recognize the signs and get to the dentist before it gets really excruciating.)

Thanks! I really hope your treatment experience goes better. Remember, it'll totally be worth it!