Nominations, worst foods to eat

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalmouth moi

Nominations, worst foods to eat

#1 Post by metalmouth moi »

Nominations for the worst foods to eat while wearing braces....

Italian Weddng Soup- The spinach wraps around the archwire and brackets like seaweed !!

Calamari- Just kinda rolls around in there

What are your fav. DON'T EAT foods ? :lol:
Moi
metal braces upper and lower May 12/05

Yeatsmom

Worst foods for braces

#2 Post by Yeatsmom »

A nice salad of baby greens is exciting. The little spinach stems get caught under the rear wires and sometimes one can have the exciting effect of a tiny whole lettuce leaf hanging into the throat and unable to move down or up because its stem is caught.

But I'll have to try the taco salad. Sounds lovely. Very exciting.

Yeatsmom

**shinyhappybraceface**

#3 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

caramel. it tastes fabulous so you don't wanna stop, but no matter how much brushing and flossing, its still a pain in the butt.

here's a tip, if you do eat it - drink hot tea and you can melt it off. :oops:
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

Teigyr

#4 Post by Teigyr »

Creamed spinach! It is soooo good but tends to wrap around my braces. I get the above-mentioned effect of halfway down my throat and halfway stuck on my teeth. Plus it is a pain to remove!!

Hmmm, I brought some of that wedding soup to work today. I might have to rethink it!

tkais

#5 Post by tkais »

Rice! It tends to find all the little hiding places. I feel like a chipmunk because so much gets lodged in and around my braces.

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

Nuts. The ultimate crevice-hider!

Destor

#7 Post by Destor »

I find anything with bread a real hassle to eat, espescially hamburgers. Ground beef, lettuce, sesame seeds, bread, bacon, always nice to spend 5 minutes eating a burger and an hour cleaning it from your braces.

butterfly

#8 Post by butterfly »

Sticky soft warm chocolate cake. Gets stuck EVERYWHERE. Looks very pretty with ceramics :shock:
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

Jeff

#9 Post by Jeff »

A second for nuts. Not only are the good at hiding, they tend to have semi-sharp corners that dig into your gums.

Metal Mouth Guy

#10 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

Flour Tortillas...

Worse than bread for gumming up. And one of my favorite starches unfortunately.

MMG

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

Metal Mouth Guy wrote:Flour Tortillas...

Worse than bread for gumming up. And one of my favorite starches unfortunately.

MMG
I second that opinion, MMG. I only bit "front teeth first" into a burrito once after I got my braces on. The tortilla was PLASTERED over the front brackets. It felt disgusting and looked disgusting, too. It took a good 15 minutes to remove it. It was awful. And it happened in public. What a horrible experience that was!

When I had braces I hated eating sushi because the rice would get all stuck between my brackets. There is just no way to bite into sushi with braces on -- it's either pop the whole thing into your mouth (choke, choke) or cut it in half with a knife (good luck).

I also avoided tortilla chips for at least 9 months after getting braced -- they were like daggers in my mouth! Not to mention nuts. After I got my braces off I went on a nut-eating binge, I had missed them so much.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Lyn

#12 Post by Lyn »

PIZZA!!! Man did it look gross pulling out all the cheese and tomato sauce after eating!!

My kids get grossed out with just about anything I eat. They think I should be able to chew something up and come out sparkling clean. Sometimes a few good swishes of water in between bites help with the "picking" after!!
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Teigyr

#13 Post by Teigyr »

You know...the first time I went out to dinner with braces was with a BOY, my now-boyfriend. It was sooo awkward. I didn't know what to eat or what would not show so much, etc.

I got something I figured would be easy. I still, though, felt things in my teeth. I had only had braces maybe two weeks? I hadn't been on a date since I had them. I tried swishing water and this stream of water went right across the table. I am not graceful. He didn't appear to notice.

Last week, we were talking. I had food in my teeth and I was trying to get it out. I admitted (this was after tequila, probably) that on our first date I had the food trauma swishy thing going on. He said he KNEW!!! I guess I have a habit of trying to swish water and accidently drooling or squirting it across the table.

Sheesh. The moral is, there really is NO good food to eat if you are not graceful.

And I had forgotten about tortillas, rice (BAD), and pizza. I think rice is the worst.

swellen

#14 Post by swellen »

I once tried doughnuts with coloured sprinkles. With my metal braces it looked like I had Christmas lights attached to my teeth! Admittedly, this was the effect I was going for - my co-workers egged me on to see how it would look (it was a slow day....)

Ledatru

#15 Post by Ledatru »

Peanuts - sometimes I bite them with the wire and it can potentially damage my wire.
Ledatru