Question about spacers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sugarluv

Question about spacers

#1 Post by sugarluv »

Hi, I am new to this forum. It seems like a great site. I'm 31 years old and finally decided to get my teeth fixed. Anyway, I went in for my ortho consult last week and decided to get braces. They took impressions, pictures and x-rays. They told me to come in Jan. 17th to get my braces. From what I have read on this site, shouldn't I get spacers before I get braces? I don't know anything about braces so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I don't have to have spacers before my braces go on so I don't know a lot of information about them, but I think its only if you have severe crowding in which they can't work around it. Kelly
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

I'm getting spacers because I will have bands placed on my molars since I will be having an expander placed in my upper arch prior to getting braces. The bands are going to connect to my expander to hold the expander in place. There are plenty of people that don't need bands :D so consider yourself one of the lucky ones. I'm sure there are other reasons people have bands placed on their teeth but this is the reason for me.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Marzipan

#4 Post by Marzipan »

I believe the spacers were needed on my molars because the teeth were too close together to put on the molar bands. Now, if there had been more space back there, the spacers (aka separators) may not have been needed. Everyone's case is different.