Powerchain won't move

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

butterfly

Powerchain won't move

#1 Post by butterfly »

Hi

Three weeks ago I got a partial powerchain over three teeth to close a gap and move the centrals to the middle but so far nothing happened! Is there a chance it will start to move or should I call them or something? My next adjustment is in 3 weeks. Here is a pic:

Today it looks the same. :( Any suggestions?
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

dkt3

#2 Post by dkt3 »

I have had something similar for five months and it takes a long time to move teeth only a bit. Sometimes I would notice my teeth moving just near my adjustment time, sometimes just after the chain went on. You will probably get another chain next adjustment which will have more elasticity in it to keep the tooth moving. Its hard to notice teeth moving when you are watching everyday, but they are! Just takes time. My gaps are nearly closed now - about half a mm on each side.

butterfly

#3 Post by butterfly »

5 months? I wonder how this gap was created within 2 weeks! Any ideas about this?

Keith

#4 Post by Keith »

I have very similar spacing. I've had powerhains since June and the gaps are still there. It's frustrating when you hear about people's gaps closing in hours, but not all of us are that lucky.

doglover1395

#5 Post by doglover1395 »

It's funny, my gaps that I'd had all my life closing in hours (or maybe a couple of days. My gaps that opened up during treatment that I did not have pre braces have taken since September and are not yet fully closed. Maybe it depends on the amount of force that is used or something... Good luck and I hope those pesky gaps closesoon!
Braced: 3/4/05
Debraced: 5/21/07
Sentence: 26 months

fins

#6 Post by fins »

Sometimes powerchains work many weeks after wearing them. Just when you think they have lost all their power, a tooth moves. I don't know if it's a combination of archwire and powerchain but I've seen teeth move long after the powerchain went on.
fins

MusicIsMyLife

#7 Post by MusicIsMyLife »

I'm in the same boat. Couple of weeks of powerchains, no progress. I'm so impatient to see some change.
Braced Sep. 29 '05
Tongue crib inserted Oct. 6
Tongue crib removed April 5
Estimated treatment time: 20 mths

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

Generally the top teeth respond quicker to powerchains than the bottom teeth. That's what my ortho told me, and that was my personal experience. It has something to do with the lower jaw bone.

I had a couple of bottom molar extraction gaps that took FOREVER to close, but finally they did close with the help of "closing loops" put into the arch wire. You just have to be patient. Everyone's teeth respond differently.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

butterfly

#9 Post by butterfly »

Umm I forgot to point it out.. This is not an extraction hole or something I was born with. It was created within the first 3 weeks.

littleshaddies

#10 Post by littleshaddies »

Well I have four powerchains to close my extraction gaps and move teeth back. I went today for ligs change only but a bit more happened. The bottom teeth are moving better and closing the gaps but the top are slower. So, in goes a new arch wire and shorter chains, boy i can feel that. Maybe you need shorter one too to give it more power. Anyway my appointments are going to be more regular now to keep an eye and replace the worn out chains to a new ones yet again. Might be worth it to mention to your ortho that you think is taking long and he/she might change something for you, you may need new wire too. I hope things start to move along soon.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

fins

#11 Post by fins »

My gap looks the same as yours maybe mine is larger. I would give it a good 2-3 months to close it completely. I bet in the next month you see it start closing up. My gaps were not there when I started either, they were made from moving teeth back.
fins

butterfly

#12 Post by butterfly »

Thanks, this sheds some light on this. Oh no.... 3 months more of powerchains and no curry :(

mackenzie

#13 Post by mackenzie »

Think about it. Maybe: If the gap opened it probably was for a reason, so the tooth isn't going to move back the same place it came from. Other teeth are going to move to fill the gap. So its not just putting a tooth back where it came from, it's moving other teeth to fill the gap.

butterfly

#14 Post by butterfly »

Yes you are right! The gap was created by moving teeth a bit outwards. Now it should close by moving the centrals sideways. Apparently this is slower.

bckydgardnr

#15 Post by bckydgardnr »

I have had my braces on 11 months. I had an extraction one month into braces. Since that time I have had gaps open up, then another chain goes on and it closes, then another opens up and so on. For the longest time I had a huge gap between my two front teeth, (which my husband said was most attractive) :oops: At my last appointment, my ortho took off all my chains , which I had over all my teeth, and only put one on my front teeth to close the gap there. Now I have another gap on the side. It seems never ending. AND, I still have the gap where the extraction was. Sometimes I wonder if he will ever get them all closed. :GapToothed:

gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05