How do you feel about jokes?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jesslzz 01

How do you feel about jokes?

#1 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Hi everyone!

Last night I was talking to my boyfriend's family and told them that I will get braces soon (I tought that I should tell them in advance to avoid shocked looks to my mouth) and suddenly they started to make jokes about it.

"Oh, your mouth will be full of metal now...if you ever go to the airport the alarms will sound! They will ask you to leave your teeth on the basket!" and so on. I was completely overwhelmed. They didn't realized how difficult and important this step was (and still is) in my life. I couldn't do anything but show a half-smile :?

Of course there were a couple of "I don't think you need them..." and that kind of ignorant comments. I know they don't mean to be rude but...do you make that kind of jokes to people wearing glasses or similar things?...I don't know, maybe I'm too sensitive but I expected more support, and less jokes.

My brother is almost a doctor now and when I told him he laughed and said he will make me a lot of jokes about it, particularly when I get my extractions done... :x

How do you feel about it? I don't know why people think all this is funny, and it kind of piss me off, but maybe it's me...how do you manage to respond to those jokes or comments?

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

How do you feel about it? I don't know why people think all this is funny, and it kind of piss me off, but maybe it's me...how do you manage to respond to those jokes or comments?
While I dont' have braces yet, I've managed to get a jokes from one individual. He quickly realized I could have cared less what they think. That is the key, you have to truely not care.

IMO people who make jokes lack maturity. While most will be respectful, some treat braces like you bought cloths long out of style.

// Never made fun on anyone with braces or headgear
// Knew it wasn't something they choose

Destor

#3 Post by Destor »

I don't really take it too seriousally. Chances are that the people making jokes about it have had braces already. The day that I came back from having the braces put on, first thing this girl, that knew I went out to have the brackets put on, said was "Hey Braceface :)" but it's all in good fun, she had braces when she was younger so she knows what the score is. I just asked her if she wanted to know when the next train was arriving on the new tracks in my mouth.

montesser

jokes

#4 Post by montesser »

The jokes from your brother, you really can't take too seriously. That's what siblings are for, to tease and taunt you. As for me, I've got the whole package ready for jokes. I'm overweight, have glasses, and now braces. People must think that I'm just asking for it. But I had to start doing things for myself, and not care what anyone else thought. I got the clear ceramic brackets because I was self conscience about people staring at my mouth, then I had to realize that the reason that I got braces in the first place was that I was self conscience about people staring at my mouth. Taking the first step to realize that you need braces is one of the most difficult decisions that an adult will make. You will have to tell yourself that I'm going to be going through a little pain and suffering now for a little while, so I'll have a beautiful smile for the rest of my life. Besides, just think how jealous those people will be of you and your smile after your treatment is done. :lol: Don't worry, we are all here to support you and are going through the exact same thing. Good luck with your treatment.

One addition: Some people are just cruel. I forgot to mention that I told this guy that I was seeing for the last 7 years that I got braces about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard from him since. He hasn't even seen me with them, but I guess his pre-judgement about the whole thing says it all. I know that I am better off without him, and when I do get them off, he'll be ready to go out with me again, but I'm definitely saying no.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

Destor

Re: jokes

#5 Post by Destor »

montesser wrote:One addition: Some people are just cruel. I forgot to mention that I told this guy that I was seeing for the last 7 years that I got braces about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard from him since. He hasn't even seen me with them, but I guess his pre-judgement about the whole thing says it all. I know that I am better off without him, and when I do get them off, he'll be ready to go out with me again, but I'm definitely saying no.
Wow, are you serious? You've been seeing eachother for 7 years and he stops talking to you as soon as you get the braces on? That's a real class act right there, what a jerk.

montesser

#6 Post by montesser »

The relationship was never a real serious one to begin with. We would only see each other about once or twice a week, but he totally stopped calling after the last conversation. We we talking about what we had done that week and I told him that I got braces on Monday. He got really quiet and then had to go. I haven't heard from him since. In a way, I'm glad. I've been looking for a way out, but I never thought he would have been that insensitive. He really was a real jerk, but some people are. You just never really know until you have to test them.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

Marzipan

#7 Post by Marzipan »

Actually I'm the first one to joke about things, so any joke in good fun by friends, family or co-workers will be fine. There is teasing joking, and there is mean joking, and I know the difference. If someone is mean or snarky to me, I'll just give it back to them but good.

Other than that, I recommend you just have a laugh with your brother. He's probably teasing because he cares about you. Brothers aren't good at saying they love their siblings, so they have to tease instead. ;) I have three of them, so I should know.

butterfly

#8 Post by butterfly »

Noone ever joked about my braces in such a way. Most people either don't care or even react with a lot of questions and even jealousy.

To tell the truth... when someone mentioned bad teeth while I was around I would feel so bad I would leave the room. If anyone feels like making fun of my braces just go ahead and let's see who will sport perfect teeth when having the last laugh in 1-2 years!
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

naomi

#9 Post by naomi »

I think the fact that other people are able to joke about you having braces shows that they don't think braces are as big of a deal as we sometimes think they are. If your family or friends thought you were going through a horrible, scary process then chances are they'd be showing sympathy, not making jokes. They realize that it's just a phase.
Braced on: June 28, 2004
Debanding : June 16th 2006

To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
Bono

Jesslzz 01

#10 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Exactly Naomi! I think I only expected a "good for you!" and that kind of stuff, since I'm beginning with all this right now and all the process is quite disturbing for me. I knew that jokes were on the way, but I didn't expected them before getting the braces on. :?
I think most people don't know that this process can be painful and scary, as Naomi said, that's why they take it so lightly. I also think that some people could use some info since they are joking out of ignorance.

Of course there are people who just want to make you feel better. I can appreciate that and I can joke about myself too! And hey, I will take back at my brother when he gets HIS wisdom teeth pulled out too :twisted:

However I'm glad I told everyone before, and not after getting my braces! Thanks to that I'm getting more and more ready for B-day now: I'm discovering what to expect from other people and I'm starting to feel like I don't care :D

Really, you are the people who make me feel the best about all this :D :D :D Thanks for your advice and for being there, all of you!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

ebjones1

#11 Post by ebjones1 »

The only person who has joked about my braces is my boyfriend, but he meant it in an affectionate, joking way. For those of you who are familiar with the TV show Beavis and Butthead, I'm sure you'll remember that Butthead had braces and would often say this to a girl - "I see you have braces.. huhuhuh.. I have braces, too." :roll: So yes, this is what he'll say whenever I bring up getting my braces on.. :)

My boyfriend knows that I'm a little stressed about the situation, so him making comments like this are just him making light of the situation.. and he tries to make me laugh :wink: Which I appreciate more than anything!

gsx

#12 Post by gsx »

nice post Jesslzz 01 !
I carefully choose the people to tell them I'm going to take braces.
I'm very sensible at this moment, no one would imagine how much this appointment of being braced, not because of the people but because of my feelings and old fears is affecting me
( when I was a child I used to fantasize I have braces, now I'm adult I have a kind of guiltyness just to have desired it when I was a child...)

Cheers

hanna

#13 Post by hanna »

I've had my braces for only 4 days now and am already self conscious about them, I talk with a lisp sort of now and my family is constantly asking me to "say this" or "say that". Last night my hubby and I got into a teeny argument and he called me a brace face and I just broke down in tears.

missing_tooth

#14 Post by missing_tooth »

Last night my hubby and I got into a teeny argument and he called me a brace face and I just broke down in tears.
Ouch, hope it's resolved shortly. I do think that we all often say mean things with our fulling realizing how cruel our words can be.

hanna

#15 Post by hanna »

missing_tooth wrote:
Last night my hubby and I got into a teeny argument and he called me a brace face and I just broke down in tears.
Ouch, hope it's resolved shortly. I do think that we all often say mean things with our fulling realizing how cruel our words can be.
I don't think he realized how sensitive I would be about it and he apologized....my teeth are now off limits.