Sonicare toothbrush vs. other electric toothbrushes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

montesser

Sonicare toothbrush vs. other electric toothbrushes

#1 Post by montesser »

I've read that a lot of people on this forum use a Sonicare toothbrush. I started out with the toothbrush that my ortho gave me and that worked out fine. Then I started looking around at some of the Sonicare, but they were all so expensive (it's weird me saying expensive when I just spent $6500 on my braces). I ended up getting the Crest SpinBrush Pro-Clean, the soft one. It's got two moving heads and makes it easier cleaning around my brackets. My question for anyone is, what advantage does the Sonicare give over any other less expensive electric toothbrush?
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

strugglebuggy

#2 Post by strugglebuggy »

I like my sonicare. I, too, started out with the spinbrush pro. :) I like the sonicare because it has a charging base and I don't need to use regular batteries.... I brush my teeth often, so the batteries in the spinbrush always needed to be replaced to get the power I like to clean my brackets. It's expensive, but mine was worth every penny. :)

Dodger(UK)

#3 Post by Dodger(UK) »

The Sonicare Range definately get's the thumbs up from me. I haven't used any other electric toothbrush though, so I can't compare. However it's a fantastic tool, that makes brushing your teeth a breeze. :)

sophielafille

#4 Post by sophielafille »

I love my sonicare toothbrush and since using it most of my periodontist says I am doing fabulous. They are really good at cleaning around the gum line and shrinking periodontal pockets if you have them. Also gets the pong out of braces really well.

-sophie
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

spragers

#5 Post by spragers »

I have a Sonicare Elite and I relaly have a hard time brushing gunk from around my brackets. I always have to go back with a regular toothbrush to get that stuff out. However, once those brackets are gone, that Sonicare is going to be great :D

montesser

#6 Post by montesser »

Everyone seems to like their Sonicare a lot, but I'm just not sure if I see the advantage over my Crest SpinBrush. It too has made brusing tons easier. I have ceramic brackets and clear ligs, and luckliy, so far I haven't noticed any staining. I don't know if this is due to my diet (I don't eat any curry or drink coffee) or that the brushing has helped in it. Any other opinions out there.
MR 11-28-05
Next Cleaning 10-19-06
Extractions 1-12-06
Next Adjustment 8-19-06

hanna

#7 Post by hanna »

montesser wrote:Everyone seems to like their Sonicare a lot, but I'm just not sure if I see the advantage over my Crest SpinBrush. It too has made brusing tons easier. I have ceramic brackets and clear ligs, and luckliy, so far I haven't noticed any staining. I don't know if this is due to my diet (I don't eat any curry or drink coffee) or that the brushing has helped in it. Any other opinions out there.
there is no comparison IMO between the sonicare and a disposable toothbrush. My husband has an Oral B electric brush, the one that goes in a circle and I have a sonicare. We have extra heads for each so I've used both. The sonicare cleans much better than the Oral B electric. There is really no comparison... highly recommend the sonicare. :)

gcoatsjr

#8 Post by gcoatsjr »

I have both a Sonicare and RotaDent and my dentist said that my teeth are looking much better with the RotaDent. It has a circular base so that it can get in between the wire and brackets.

With the Sonicare my ortho saw some plaque on my lower and back teeth. Ever since I started using only the RotaDent he gives me high remarks on my hygiene.

swan

#9 Post by swan »

I got the RotaDent, too, and it works very well.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.