How do *you* cope with the pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cynthia1251

How do *you* cope with the pain?

#1 Post by Cynthia1251 »

*points at YOU*

Other than pain killers and such, how do you cope with the pain?

I just got my top braces on monday, and the pain was SO unbearable! I found that if i chew on something constantly, it would help the pain subside so i took a piece of a napkin and chewed on that. I know it may sound gross or weird, but i didn't EAT the napkin...just chewed. 8)

I also didn't want to sulk and bask in the pain while eating soup forever so i went out on a limb and ordered pizza. I just cut it up into pieces and ate from my back left molars, cause that's where it hurt the least.

I ALSO realized that my teeth stop hurting while i'm brushing them, so this morning i brushed them for quite a long time. It felt good. I'm slowly getting used to all of it and i don't even have to use wax anymore!

any other remedies?

johnnya

#2 Post by johnnya »

I did painkillers the first two days. It was really awkward. It will hurt the first two days..I just wanted to rip them out!

Now, I have absolutely zero pain and discomfort which worries me a bit..

Cynthia1251

#3 Post by Cynthia1251 »

that gives me something to look forward to. I think the pain is worse than dying. :oops:

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

I don't baby my teeth when they hurt, I find it's just easier if I continue eating the same food as I always have, even if they hurt a lot. Smoothies are always good for pain, I've really perfected my smoothie skills while in braces, and let's see what else...distracting yourself seems to work. For instance, if you know that you have a painful appointment coming up, plan something busy for the next day which will keep your mind off the pain. Lastly, if it's really unbearable, curl up with a good fuzzy blanket and sleep off the pain. It always works, for when I got surgeries twice I just slept off the pain for days.

~Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

brandee987

#5 Post by brandee987 »

I have found that if I eat something really hot or drink something really cold the pain is better.. But now that I am 3 weeks in braces I dont have the initial pain and discomfort that I did have.. THANK GOODNESS!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

Destor

#6 Post by Destor »

Ugh those first few days with braces are terrible. Makes you want to rip your teeth right out of your jaw. But that doesn't last long, and once the pain finally dulls, it's like "yes!!!!"

Not sure about remedies for the pain besides pain killers, maybe numbing gel on the gums, and Evelyn's suggestion. I didn't use pain killers at all when the braces went on, just stuck to soup, yogurt, and soft pasta for a few days. Only time there was major pain was when chewing and accidentally biting down on the front teeth, makes me cringe just remembering that shooting pain.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

adollface

#7 Post by adollface »

After an adjustment I eat a really big meal before the pain hits and than I spend the next few days living on ice cream (plain chocolate) and coffee or tea. It does get better just give it time.

Amy
Damons top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

angel_guitar

#8 Post by angel_guitar »

mine havn't hurt much......but my teeth have definately moved.
I find that they hurt the most in the morning just after i've woken up and it's usually just one tooth that really hurts.

hannah164

#9 Post by hannah164 »

I definitely live off pain killers and smoothies really help! If you have a Jamba Juice by you, you really should go there! :D Sleeping and keeping busy also helps. I find it helpful to have someone who sympathises with you! :wink:

After getting top braces, bottom braces, and having a horrible appt. where my teeth hurt so bad and I even bled I can defintiely assure you that this will get better! :-#)

Good luck and Hope your teeth feel better soon! :pinkbraces:

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Chocoholic

#10 Post by Chocoholic »

I totally sympathise. Cold drinks or ice-cream really help as it relaxes the wire a little and eases the pressure. Also toothpaste for sensitive teeth helps a bit. Chewing gum I also found helps.

bckydgardnr

#11 Post by bckydgardnr »

First of all, it gets better. With that said, the year that I have been in braces, the worst was the first two weeks. I think that was because it was more than just moving teeth, it was toughening up my cheeks and tounge, and just getting used to it. And, thinking, OH MY GOD, what have I done!!!!!!!!!! After each adjustment, there is pain, but it gets less and less after each adjustment. Sometimes for no reason at all my teeth will hurt, then it goes away. I kinda like the pain now (weird) because I know my teeth are moving and I am getting closer to the destination. I still stay away from really hard things, not because my teeth hurt, but because I don't want to knock off a bracket.

It gets better!! Lots of motrin or tylenol will do the trick!

Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

mtbrncofn

#12 Post by mtbrncofn »

Cynthia1251 wrote:that gives me something to look forward to. I think the pain is worse than dying. :oops:
I feel you on this one. I didn't have too much anguish when I got my braces put on, its now. These freakin powerchains are absolute torture. Seriously, they could use it on someone as a torture device. I'm taking ibuprofen regularly and it helps at least take the edge off.

The only other advice I can offer is to eat cold stuff, i.e ice cream, popsicles, drink cold water. My ortho told me that would help, but that could have only been if you have the heat activated wires and I'm not sure they're all heat activated. That was my understanding. I still think the cold stuff helps regardless.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

mtbrncofn

#13 Post by mtbrncofn »

Deleted. Double post. Oops.

TuZZi

#14 Post by TuZZi »

My teeth haven't really "hurt" yet persay.... they are more of an annoyance that is always there. My mouth is always a bit achy in the morning, probably from sleeping with my mouth wide open, but after a half hour or so it's back to normal. Other than a dull ache every once and a while from a banded tooth, or a severely crowded front one, there hasn't been much pain from the teeth themselves. But my cheeks *OWIE* there's a whole other story.

Good thing things haven't been so bad so far.... I can't swallow pills and usually don't get any relief from any kind of liquid medicine, no matter the ailment.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

mtbrncofn

#15 Post by mtbrncofn »

TuZZi wrote:My teeth haven't really "hurt" yet persay.... they are more of an annoyance that is always there. My mouth is always a bit achy in the morning, probably from sleeping with my mouth wide open, but after a half hour or so it's back to normal. Other than a dull ache every once and a while from a banded tooth, or a severely crowded front one, there hasn't been much pain from the teeth themselves. But my cheeks *OWIE* there's a whole other story.

Good thing things haven't been so bad so far.... I can't swallow pills and usually don't get any relief from any kind of liquid medicine, no matter the ailment.
Isn't it funny how one thing can bother one person terribly but for another it's not a big deal and something completely different sends them through the roof?

I haven't had hardly any cheek problems. Yeah, I've gotten the holes and sores, but they just don't really bother me. Nothing like the agony of having your teeth move a mile in 24 hours. ( at least that's how it feels! )