Damon System Newbie

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mkmark

Damon System Newbie

#1 Post by mkmark »

Hi All -

I just had Damon's put on last Friday. Friday into Saturday I had no pain, but since then I've had some soreness while using my teeth. Other than that, my only problem is that my top front tooth bangs the bracket on the bottom tooth. It's really flippin' annoying because I can't really chew since I can't bite down.

Anyone else have Damons or hear good things about them? My orthodontist raves about them. He just started using them 6 months ago on his patients and said he is seeing great results with people (I'm taking his word for it!)

I'm a 22 year old guy, so getting braces is kind of a big deal for me. I'm recently single for the first time since I graduted high school so I hope this doesn't seriously affect my social life..

Looks like a great community here, anyhow. Howdy y'all.

Mark
Last edited by mkmark on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destor

#2 Post by Destor »

I have Damon 3's right now, they seem to do the job. The orthodontist never mentioned anything about them being all that better than any of the other types, in fact he said "they all work equally well" when we were going over which type to choose. But he did point out that they're self-ligating so you don't need to come in for adjustments as often, they're more aesthetic (20 years old here so yeah was a bit worried about that aswell, he said he wouldnt even give anyone younger the option), and they're much smoother so they're not as tough on your lips and gums, which is the biggest difference I've noticed.

Hadn't had any problems with the braces tearing up my lips until just recently and it's one hook digging into the cheek, still not that bad compared to what I've heard about other types.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

mkmark

#3 Post by mkmark »

Yeah, my only problem is that one bracket. Sounds like we're in the same boat. My first adjustment appointment isn't for 10 weeks (well, 9 weeks now) so that's nice.

Are we in the minority? Doesn't seem like too many people have the Damon 3's.

Really, the only thing that's really bugged me about braces is that now that they're on, it's like connect the dots which accentuates just how crooked some of my teeth are. Most people thought I was crazy about getting braces because they never noticed a problem. It was always something that I noticed and was self-conscious about. But this sure showed them (and the whole world!) because it's very clear that my teeth are a bit messed up. haha

Destor

#4 Post by Destor »

Well they are a bit more expensive than typical metal braces, and putting them on is somewhat different from typical brackets, so it stands to reason that they'd not be as common.

lol I know what you mean about the braces accentuating problems with your teeth, immediately noticed slightly rotated and weird angled teeth that I was completely oblivious to without them, but putting up with the braces sticking out like a sore thumb will pay off in the end! (hopefully)
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

adollface

#5 Post by adollface »

Hi guys! Just to let you know there are others out here with Damons. I'm 34 year old Mother of 2 and have mine on for just over a year now. I've been in for five adjustments in that time and haven't had any major problems at all. The one thing I do notice is that when my teeth are really moving the wire starts to poke out of the back bracket and into my cheek. It just takes a minute to fix though. My teeth are now straight (I had one tooth rotates 90 degrees) and we are now closing gaps that were created to straighten things out. Once the gaps are closed (which by the way they are and it's been 8 weeks since we started working on them) my overbite will be fixed and it's not major so I'm hoping to have them off by June. Everytime I go in for an adjustment I hear about how fast my teeth are moving and I think I has to do a little bit with the fact that I do have Damons. Good luck to both of you and hang in there. You get used to everything with time. Now I almost forget they are even there!!

Amy

Damon 2s top and bottom
Braced 12-16-04

Nikkiekoala

#6 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I have Damon 3's. I am four months into treatment. I've had only one adjustment thus far. My next adjustment is Jan. 4th 2006. I like them very much. I really like the part about not going in as often. I am seeing a lot of movement in the short time I had them. Some Damon users here experience some difficulty with the little doors opening at the time of an adjustment but I didn't have any problems my first adjustment.
Good luck with your treatment!

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

dentalhygiene2007

#7 Post by dentalhygiene2007 »

Hello! I am a 21 year old dental hygiene student. I recently got my Damon 3's on about a month ago. In the beginning, I had some trouble. Before I walked out of the office after I got them on, 2 brackets fell off. Then a week later, my wire fell out due to a defective bracket. After that, my wire fell out again and I had to get it adjusted. About 2 days ago, it fell out again on the same spot. Everyone that I talk to says the Damons are comfortable. Hmmm...I have never had this many sores in my mouth...EVER....There are two other girls in my class that got them on the same time as I did and they do not have any sores...oh well...I guess I am the lucky one. I dont think that braces have had a negative effect on my social life...I was sooo paranoid before I got them on. How naive I was to think that people actually cared if I had braces or not...NOBODY CARES BUT YOU!! What a relief! Anyway, for all you people in college...enjoy your Christmas Break... God Bless!

dentalhygiene2007

#8 Post by dentalhygiene2007 »

Hello! I am a 21 year old dental hygiene student. I recently got my Damon 3's on about a month ago. In the beginning, I had some trouble. Before I walked out of the office after I got them on, 2 brackets fell off. Then a week later, my wire fell out due to a defective bracket. After that, my wire fell out again and I had to get it adjusted. About 2 days ago, it fell out again on the same spot. Everyone that I talk to says the Damons are comfortable. Hmmm...I have never had this many sores in my mouth...EVER....There are two other girls in my class that got them on the same time as I did and they do not have any sores...oh well...I guess I am the lucky one. I dont think that braces have had a negative effect on my social life...I was sooo paranoid before I got them on. How naive I was to think that people actually cared if I had braces or not...NOBODY CARES BUT YOU!! What a relief! Anyway, for all you people in college...enjoy your Christmas Break... God Bless!

dentalhygiene2007

#9 Post by dentalhygiene2007 »

Attagirl2

#10 Post by Attagirl2 »

HI guys. I am a 52 year old grandmother in Damon 3's. Well, bottoms were changed to Smart Clips a couple of months ago. See the tread I have attached to read up on how my progress has been going - I was answering another post. I think you will like them - I do.

viewtopic.php?t=7828&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

belmikry

#11 Post by belmikry »

hey guys- another Damon 3 brace-wearer here :)

I'm a 21 female student, so that's basically why I wanted the damon's- it was either the ceramics, which take twice the time and elastics [ouch!] or less time and slightly more noticable- I'm glad with my choice, and its only been 5 days and I'm already noticing progress! :)

anyone who's been adjusted already: is it painful with damons?
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

Another Damon user here. My ortho uses them almost exclusively because of speed and comfort. He says they work pretty fast and they're the most comfortable metal braces on the market. I haven't had any problems. Last night I thought a wire had come out of a bracket but when I looked again this morning with a magnifier I realized they hadn't placed the wire in the end bracket yet (that must be for later). I found the glue dot where they secured the wire between 2 teeth.

BracesAt42

I Loved My Damons

#13 Post by BracesAt42 »

I had Damon 2's (back in the days before Damon 3's were on the market). I absolutely loved them, and over the 22 months, I can honestly say that I had pain only once or twice. I found them to be extremely comfortable; I rarely had to use wax as well.

I liked not having ligatures and my appointments were less frequent (every 8 weeks rather than 4) and very quick compared to the other patients who had traditional braces. The brackets are also smaller than traditional braces, allowing you (and your dental hygeinest) better access to clean.

Not to worry about braces at your age! As you can see from my handle, I was 42 when I got mine! :-) You'll have an extra 20 years to enjoy your new smile!
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

ingyandbert

#14 Post by ingyandbert »

I gotcha beat. I got my braces at 45!

jcdamon3

#15 Post by jcdamon3 »

I got mine at 46!

It is funny that some ortho's say different things about the speed, etc. My ortho told me that it would be about 4 months faster over a 2 year period. Other Orthos say no difference. My ortho also uses these brackets exclusively so they are either cheaper, better or faster or it is simply cheaper to only train his assistants on one kind of bracket.

I have had no problem with mind whatsoever. I have been going in more often to fix a tooth that wasn't behaving. So I haven't seen an 8 week interval between appointments yet. I have had them on since August.

My ortho tells me his clients are 50 % adult.

Good luck with your journey!