brushing tips

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dena

brushing tips

#1 Post by dena »

Do the braces veterans here have good brushing strategies? I know there's been some talk about the best toothbrushes to have, but what about brushing in general? This sort of sounds like a child's inquiry, but do you make sure you brush for x mins. 3 times a day and then after meals or what? How often do you floss? If you are eating in the car, do you swish with water and brush when you can? Just wondered if anyone had some good 'rules of thumb'?

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I would really appreciate some tips too. I am so scared I will not get mine clean enough. I have a 3 minute timer, and right now I am on Christmas break so I am using my waterpik everytime I eat. Any advice is helpful.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

wating4braces

#3 Post by wating4braces »

It's up to you. Some people border on OCD *cough cough* not to mention any names... Others don't clean enough. I only brush after meals for 1-2 mins. At night I try to brush for 3 mins and then dip a proxy brush in mouthwash and then swish with mouth wash and then floss and then use a special flouride gel my ortho perscribed. A bunch of people posted viewtopic.php?t=6499&highlight=whats+routine there about their routines.

Katie

Destor

#4 Post by Destor »

I've only had braces for about 3 weeks, but haven't had any problems at all so far with bad breath or anything. Using an Oral-B electric toothbrush, for the 2 minute timer that it runs on, making sure to brush on all sides of the braces (brushing down from the gums, up towards the teeth, and straight down on the braces). Usually brush after every big meal, 3x a day, not after eating small snacks, just swish some water or whatever around, seems to do the trick.

After using the electric, I usually switch to a manual brush with a larger head, to go over the braces themselves once more and reaching into the very back of the teeth, that's where I find the most food gets stuck, espescially after having your wisdom teeth pulled. Then brush the roof of the mouth, and last but not least the tongue, which is where most of the bacteria hides in your mouth.

Rinse, floss (only once a day, before going to bed), rinse again, and use mouthwash sometimes. Takes about 2 minutes 2x a day and maybe 10-15 before going to bed, at the most. No need to go totally nuts with it.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

dena

#5 Post by dena »

these are great.

waiting4braces--thanks for the link. i didn't see that thread when i searched before.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

dkt3

#6 Post by dkt3 »

My advice: get into a routine and it gets heaps quicker. I try to clean mine as close as possible after eating because then I dont have to think about it later. Those interdental brushes are awesome, so quick and easy to use. I take one with me when I go out to dinner instead of my toothbrush. Just an excellent job, very quick and easy to carry.

bracedintx

#7 Post by bracedintx »

Personally, I rarely have time to brush after I eat due to the nature of my job. I use a Sonicare, and brush when I wake up and before bed. I usually surpass the 2-minute timer because of the extra surfaces to brush on the braces. I floss several times per week and use a waterpik on the other days. I carry the little interdental brush for emergencies. I use Phos-Flur every night before bed. I just saw my dentist for a cleaning and he said my brushing was excellent, my gums are less inflamed than ever, and my teeth are as strong as bullets.

Of course I believe in good oral hygiene but I haven't had to make any drastic changes to my routine...everyone is different; this is my personal experience :)
self-ligating metal brackets all around

bracedintx

brushing

#8 Post by bracedintx »

Personally, I rarely have time to brush after I eat due to the nature of my job. I use a Sonicare, and brush when I wake up and before bed. I usually surpass the 2-minute timer because of the extra surfaces to brush on the braces. I floss several times per week and use a waterpik on the other days. I carry the little interdental brush for emergencies. I use Phos-Flur every night before bed. I just saw my dentist for a cleaning and he said my brushing was excellent, my gums are less inflamed than ever, and my teeth are as strong as bullets.

Of course I believe in good oral hygiene but I haven't had to make any drastic changes to my routine...everyone is different; this is my personal experience :)

bracedintx

#9 Post by bracedintx »

sorry about the double reply--got a message that it didn't go through the first time :oops:

bckydgardnr

#10 Post by bckydgardnr »

My husband jokes me that I am going to brush the braces right off my teeth! :biglaf:
I brush at least 3 times per day. I use the waterpik once per day. I carry a toothbrush with me and the interdental brush with me. I keep a supply of various mouth washes, and orajel, etc. I really feel like since I got braces, I take MUCH better care of my teeth, and in turn my children do too. I have a cleaning scheduled for next week. I am anxious to see how I have done!

gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

bckydgardnr

#11 Post by bckydgardnr »

My husband jokes me that I am going to brush the braces right off my teeth! :biglaf:
I brush at least 3 times per day. I use the waterpik once per day. I carry a toothbrush with me and the interdental brush with me. I keep a supply of various mouth washes, and orajel, etc. I really feel like since I got braces, I take MUCH better care of my teeth, and in turn my children do too. I have a cleaning scheduled for next week. I am anxious to see how I have done!

gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

bckydgardnr

#12 Post by bckydgardnr »

did the same thing to me, said it didn't go through...sorry bout that
gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

KJM

#13 Post by KJM »

My husband jokes me that I am going to brush the braces right off my teeth!
LOL My husband teases me about my brushing too. I once mentioned that I thought that my teeth were yellowish like corn, he thought that was so funny he now will ask if I am brushing my corn cob teeth! ( no they arent that yellow, I was just having a moment where I was unhappy that they werent perfectly white) :lol:
He does think I am obsessed with cleaning, although I really dont think I am... :?

My routine is a good brushing in the morning with my Oral B, then several small cleanings during the day as needed to remove debris if swishing doesnt work, I try to floss every night, and of couse I brush before bed.
If my mouth is sore I use Biotene ( it is a god send when your mouth is raw- I use it right before bed and my mouth always feels better in the morning)

I carry some floss with me along with a travel toothbrush.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007