Ortho Insurance anyone?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KJM

Ortho Insurance anyone?

#1 Post by KJM »

If you dont mind me asking do you have ortho insurance and how much does it cover?

I just got the news that dh's company is picking up ortho insurance!!! WooHoo! I am thrilled!

It might be too late to cover me ( and yes! it does cover adults but I am not sure that it will cover anything now that I am already into treatment) but it will cover my daughter that needs braces and my son that is getting an expander :)

Acording to the plan it will cover 50%, up to $2000 per person. :) ( and we will get a better negotiated rate to start off with)
We also put $$ in the FSP ( flex spend acount) for the expander b/c we didnt know we would be getting the ortho ins., so I will not only be able to pay this off totally, but most of my balance as well. As you can tell I am thrilled! :lol:
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

i814u2c

#2 Post by i814u2c »

I have Adult ortho coverage. It covers $1200 the rest is mine. The ortho's office says they rarely see adult coverage. The company before had it too.
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

calley03

#3 Post by calley03 »

I have military insurance through United Concordia and they cover until you are 23 years old. I just got the insurance and it goes into effect 2 weeks after I was braced. They are picking up even though I was braced prior to coverage, and they will cover $70.00 a month. I turn 23 this summer so it will only cover 6 months, but that is better than nothing to me.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

KJM

#4 Post by KJM »

Wow thats great calley03!!! :dance: $420 in savings is wonderful!!

I am hoping that my insurance will cover some of mine, but if it doesnt I will still be happy that it is covering my kids orthodontics.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Destor

#5 Post by Destor »

I've got coverage through my mom's plan, which she gets from the provincial government and is facilitated by Blue Cross. Her particular plan covers 80% of orthodontic charges up to $1,500, per person covered, and only once in your life.

Would normally have coverage through my dad's plan aswell, his covers 80% up to $1,750 but it only applies if your dependant is 18 or under.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

mkmark

#6 Post by mkmark »

I guess it helps that I work for the insurance company that I am covered under - CIGNA. They pay 50% of the braces, up to a lifetime max of $2000. I'm picking up the rest, which is about $3000.

Granola

#7 Post by Granola »

Mine only covers $750 (lifetime maximum) for adults or kids. It's not much, but I'll take it!
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

jenns91civic

#8 Post by jenns91civic »

Cignot, oops I mean Cigna lol (just kiddinggggg) covered $1,000 of my braces. I was 15 at the time.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

adollface

#9 Post by adollface »

I have United Concordia through my husband's work and our coverage is $1500 lifetime for adults if you see an ortho within their plan. Lucky for me that happened. Still out of pocket $3500. At least some of it is covered. Same for kids under the plan too. Just happy for any help we can get.

Amy
Damon 2 top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

Charles08b

#10 Post by Charles08b »

I got my braces this summer, and was thrilled to discover my dad's plan would cover me for 50%. The tricky part came when they clarified that I was only covered as long as I was a full-time student. My status as such officially ended August 31st, just two weeks after the braces went on! Yikes! Any payments made after that date would be out of my own pockets. So I sucked it up and paid the full amount basically upfront. Needless to say I was VERY glad to see the insurance cheque show up a few weeks later!!!

I'm now into my first year as a self-employed musician (I'll probably never have group insurance again in my life!), so I am forever glad that I got the braces paid for when I did. Good luck getting your payments sorted out!
Char

gunter8888

#11 Post by gunter8888 »

I was thrilled to discover that not only does my dental insurance cover adult ortho ($1500 max lifetime), but it also has a fee schedule that it requires all participating dentists/orthos to adhere to. I believe they allow around $3500 for full braces. Between the fee schedule and the $1500 I end up saving about $3000. Woohoo!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Wyo_Stacy

#12 Post by Wyo_Stacy »

When I started this adventure I was on my own as my insurance did not cover anything. I then changed jobs and my new insurance covered $1,000, but I had already started. Now my company was bought out. Our new insurance pays $1,500 per year and the great part is they are waiving all pre-existing conditions for everyone in my company. I have already submited everything so now I am just waiting to hear. When the insurance pays their part my ortho will be pain off and will actually owe me money. That will be a great present. :lol:

KJM

#13 Post by KJM »

Wyo_Stacy wrote: When the insurance pays their part my ortho will be pain off and will actually owe me money. That will be a great present. :lol:
Wow that will be great! :dance:

I was reading through some of the literature and I do think they will cover mine.

it reads: "For 2006, orthodontia coverage has been added to your dental plan. You may have orthodontic treatment in progress for you and your dependents. "

Is this how you would interpret this? When I get the full booklet then I will know for sure, I am just curious if others read this the same.
~*~ Kim ~*~

bbsadmin

#14 Post by bbsadmin »

Usually insurance plans DO NOT pay for orthodontic work that is already in progress.

This means that they will only pay if you are beginning new treatment from scratch.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!