First Christmas with braces...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

greencapt

#1 Post by greencapt »

You made me remember- today is my 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY IN BRACES!!!! :-V

But I digress- I love Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner- in fact this year I'm cooking it!! Six months into the process I'm pretty comfortable eating so I plan on having a full belly AND a full rack of food-encrusted braces!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everybody!!!!

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Lucy, I had a family party this past weekend and I ate everything that I wanted... fudge, cookies, pies, etc. :lol:
I think the hardest part was seeing ppl that hadnt seen me with braces, the food part wasnt 1/2 as bad as I had worried that it would be.
The only thing that I have to forego will be carrots ( too hard) on the veggie platter. :) ( ah, thats ok I like the other veggies much better anyway)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

The only thing that I have to forego will be carrots ( too hard) on the veggie platter
Why can't carrots be eaten?

KJM

#4 Post by KJM »

I find them to be too hard to bite ( I am talking about those baby carrots)
~*~ Kim ~*~

calley03

#5 Post by calley03 »

I got braced Monday and my first Christmas dinner of two will be on Saturday. I have to make a lot of food I can't even eat like caramel popcorn, and chocolate covered pretzels. It will be all right I can do potatoes, and turkey!!! I am still happy I did what I did though, its gonna be worth it.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

KJM

#6 Post by KJM »

calley03, I would still eat the carmel popcorn and pretzels.. Mmmmm!
I guess that I a bad that way, I eat whatever I want ( unless I feel it will give me pain, or is really hard and going to break a bracket) :)
I have only broke one bracket in the beginning eating a bowl of cereal. :roll:
~*~ Kim ~*~

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#7 Post by nahky »

My first and last Christmas with braces!

Definately know my teeth will get sore from chewing.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

calley03

#8 Post by calley03 »

KJM: I may get brave one of these days and eat harder stuff. I was just thinking today I will never be able to eat cerial with braces, good to know :) I know it takes time, it's getting better everyday. I can't wait for Christmas!!!
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

OneBluCrayon

#9 Post by OneBluCrayon »

This is my 2nd Christmas with braces. Last year i was banded two days before Christmas. Even though i was sore as all ... I still ate just about everything everyone else did, i just cut it into teeny tiny peices so that it wouldnt be so hard to chew. It took me ages to eat, but i still got to enjoy everything that everyone else did.

This year is going to be wonderful because i am not sore and the house is stocked with goodies.

I cant wait till next year when i will be all brace free. :lol:

Happy Holidays everyone.
If you're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!
Banded: Dec 24, 2004

Lysachick

#10 Post by Lysachick »

Crackling was served with the roast pork at Christmas lunch and despite the knowledge of how mortified my ortho would have been, I insisted on trying to eat it purely so no one else could have it.

hannah164

#11 Post by hannah164 »

This was my second Christmas with braces but my first one wiht bottom braces! I have to say that my teeth were randomly sore on Christmas Eve making it kind of hard to eat but I tried not to let it bother me. :wink:

I know I will have a few more CHristmases wiht braces but a lifetime full of Christmases with a beautiful smile later! :D

Hope everyone had a very merry Christmas!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Destor

#12 Post by Destor »

My families christmas dinner went pretty well too, noone in my family but my parents knew the braces were on, and was prepared to be grilled about it, but amazingly enough, nobody even noticed. Had to point it out to them, and then they only wanted to see 'em and know how much they were costing. Spent 45mins cleaning the things before leaving the house, expecting to spend half of dinner with my mouth open and family members peering inside, and noone even notices them, kind of a waste don't you think :D

Eating wasn't all that bad either, except turkey stuffing was a pain, being so doughy. Hope everybody enjoyed theirs, and merry belated christmas.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

greencapt

#13 Post by greencapt »

Meryaten wrote: Oooohhh! That sounds nice. I roast the parsnips (can't stand them cooked any other way, but roasted they are so sweet and nice!) My carrots I cut into very thin discs and glaze - that is to say I add a minimal amount of water, some lemon juice, honey/brown sugar, a knob of butter, and a dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper, then bring to a boil and simmer until the carrots are al dente and the liquid has reduced to a sauce. Yum.
I have to say Meryaten that you got to me with this post- I had never had a parsnip before and I was planning on roasting brussels sprouts anyhow so I bought some parsnips to roast with them. As I was the one cooking dinner I had this power! ;)

Well of my 8 family members present only one had ever had parsnips before either (and she having been born in Scotland) and I have to say- everyone LOVED them! I was amazed at, like you said, how sweet they were! Thank you so much for the sort of suggestion. The rest of the dinner went really well and I, of course, ate way too much.

No braces problems per se except for my spinach/artichoke dip... but we all know about spinach right? ;)

swan

#14 Post by swan »

I often forget to take the elastics out before meals. Same thing happened at the company Christmas party last week. So I took them out right there at the table in the restaurant (We were stuck at the back of the table with no way out to go to the restroom or anything like that). Someone noticed and said, "Oh, rubberbands" and that was that. No big deal.

Other than that, I squished a lot of water through my teeth this Christmas to get the rest of some meals out.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

nvcarissa

#15 Post by nvcarissa »

but we all know about spinach right
The devil's spawn!

We had a wonderful Christmas Eve celebration and no food issues. Well, no more than normal.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.