when did you get extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

latichas

when did you get extractions?

#1 Post by latichas »

If your treatment plan required, during what part of your treatment did you get the teeth pulled? I know some people get the teeth pulled before they get braced and others afterward. If you did get teeth pulled afterward how much later after the braces were put on was it? Also which teeth were pulled and did that have anything to do with it.
Thanks Laticha

ceramic upppers, metal lowers 1-23-06
next adjustment March 21,2006

Joanne

#2 Post by Joanne »

Hi Laticha,
I got my braces on December of last year, and four bicuspids were extracted in June. At the ortho appt, when I was ready for the extractions, he took the brackets off the teeth that were to be pulled. I still have the braces and will be getting jaw surgery, upper and lower, next year.

katy

#3 Post by katy »

Hi Latichas,
I had to have my four 2nd pre-molars extracted before I got braces in July 2004. The reason for this was due to
severe upper crowding and the 2nd pre-molars were chosen as opposed to the first pre-molars because one
was rotated and another had a cavity so it was the more sensible sollution. 17 Months later and I'm
nearly done (I hope), just waiting for those annoying lower gaps to close.

Best of luck with your treatment, if you do need to have teeth pulled, don't worry...
it's not as bad as you might think. :)

Katy

latichas

#4 Post by latichas »

Thanks katy and Joanne
I am not really scared about having the extractions... well I guess I am a little bit. But just because I had a molar pulled when I was 14 and it developed a dry socket that had to be packed several times and required me to take a lot of tylenol 3 and advil for a couple of months. I am anemic and therefore a little bit of a poor healer. I also want to get all 4 bicuspids and all 4 impacted or empacted (which one) removed at once to minimize time off from work to maybe just one day. My ortho referred me to an oral surgeon but never mentioned if I needed to have them extraced before I got my braces. I am an appointment with the oral surgeon on Jan. 2 so I guess I will find out then. But I was just curious about what others have done. Thanks so much for replying to my post. I really needed some feedback.
Laticha

ceramic upppers, metal lowers 1-23-06
next adjustment March 21,2006

dena

#5 Post by dena »

Hey--

I am having four premolars removed on January 3 and then getting braces January 5. My ortho just recommended getting the extractions as soon as I could because he didn't think I'd see a lot of progress until they were gone (I have a narrow arch, small mouth, and overcrowding.) I just happened to luck out getting an appointment for the extractions before the braces, but I don't think that mattered much to my ortho.

The only other thought I had was to get the extractions ASAP...I figured I'd be most unhappy about my appearance at the beginning of the braces experience (crooked teeth + braces), so I might as well have missing teeth then, too. Better to have it all started at the same time so there's only progress to be seen from there!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Megera_S

#6 Post by Megera_S »

I had my extractions (lower first bicuspids) done 23 days before I had my braces put on.
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

I had both number 4 upper and both number 5 lower extracted. Four weeks later braces were on.
I would suggest not to extract the impacted wisdom teeth at the same time. I was going to do that and would have been 7 teeth out ( i only have 3 wisdom teeth) but glad i didn't. It was hard enough to eat anything with 4 out. I will be extracting the wisdom teeth as soon as i can, once braces are off.
Remember, don't use a straw for drinking and if you are smoker don't smoke for couple of days after extraction. Most common mistake people make is using a straw. This is one cause of dry sockets.
Good luck :)
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

TuZZi

#8 Post by TuZZi »

I got 4 bicuspids removed 3 weeks after getting the braces on. At first I thought it was the weirdest thing to get the braces on first, and then get the teeth removed through everything, but in the end it made more sense. I'm glad they did it that way.... or else I would have been having to adapt to the new wires and brackets as well as new extractions at the same time.

It's been 3 months now since the extractions, and the sites still bleed if I brush the wrong way, or eat something that hits them in the wrong spot. Other than that, the gaps have been closing nicely!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

cookie

#9 Post by cookie »

I got braced in December last year - top only at that stage (I had previously, about 10 years ago, had my top 2 bicuspids extraced)

In April this year, 10 days before I had my bottom braces put on, I had my bottom 2 bicuspids extracted.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

alexa

#10 Post by alexa »

I had four bicuspids removed in February 2005, and was braced on the first of March.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom