how do you smile?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jay.tee.

how do you smile?

#1 Post by jay.tee. »

during photo sessions (not the candid ones), do you smile wide open where your teeth are exposed OR do you smile with your teeth unexposed? im asking this question since it's Christmas time and, as we all know, cameras will be flashing everywhere!

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

I haven't smiled with my mouth open for years... why start now?

Of course when I'm alone and want to take teeth shots... I do, but only 1 out of every 50 or so I take, end up being good enough for anyone else to see.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

littleshaddies

#3 Post by littleshaddies »

Week ago I had my work christmas party. It was in a very posh place so put on a big dress, glitter on my eyes....the lot. Two days later I saw the pictures. Big green on all of them and doesn't look bad at all. Ten years later you will look back at the photos and be proud of what you did.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Chocoholic

#4 Post by Chocoholic »

I've always gone for the closed mouth smile, but hoping that will change very soon.

momof2grlz

#5 Post by momof2grlz »

Never used to show my teeth when I smiled. Now I'm proud of fixing my smile, so I finally have some photos showing teeth (and braces)!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

decisionmade

#6 Post by decisionmade »

I find myself smiling more overall now that I have braces and my teeth are looking so much better--however for "formal" photos i still keep my lips closed..but if far enough away I guess it wouldn't matter since my ceramics are barely noticable ..bring on the cameras and happy holidays!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

swan

#7 Post by swan »

Just a natural smile, which usually means my teeth and braces are visible.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

mackenzie

#8 Post by mackenzie »

I do either, it depends on my mood.

Also depends on if I've been eating. :D

HMA

#9 Post by HMA »

It looks incredibly fake when I smile without showing teeth. So even though I was ashamed of my teeth before, I would sometimes still smile showing teeth. I think sometimes I would cover my mouth with my hand, depending on the situation though :(

Now, with braces, I love the way my teeth look. So I definitely show them!
Pendulum appliance 1-26-05
Top braced 7-1-05
Bottom braced 11-16-05

bracedintx

#10 Post by bracedintx »

I never could figure out the closed lip smile without looking totally deranged. So obviously when I tried to do it with an extra centimetre protruding from my teeth it didn't work too well either.
I was at a party last week and smiled my big toothy grin. The person who took my picture said it looked awesome because the flash lit one of my brackets, giving a super sparkly smile!
My ortho says to think of braces like a fine piece of jewelry...I'm not so sure about all that, but I say, be proud--you're spending all that money on your smile, so show it off!
self-ligating metal brackets all around

T4raegirl

#11 Post by T4raegirl »

i would always smile with my teeth showing...i just didnt want them to get an angle shot where you could see my crossbite...but now i smile big because i am proud of my braces.
*~*Live to LOVE and LOVE to live*~*
CSULB Class of 2010! Go Beach!
BrEa OlInDa HiGh ScHoOl ClaSs Of 2006!

Top Metal Braces: October 20, 2005
Lower Metal Braces: January 2006

[/url]

amychelle

#12 Post by amychelle »

My natural smile is usually with my mouth closed, but I don't do it on purpose. I have noticed that when I smile that it hurts to slide my lips into the grin b/c of the braces. My braces don't even really show very much when I do the toothy grin anyway.

:D I worry more about my hair than my teeth!

missing_tooth

#13 Post by missing_tooth »

Not showing teeth when smiling, what a shame. :cry:

I plan to smile as big as I please as soon as I get braced.

//waiting of oral surgeons info befor starting

hannah164

#14 Post by hannah164 »

Even before I got braces I would never stop smiling showing my teeth when laughing or just happy. I still with braces feel self conscience about my ugly smile but its not going to keep me from smiling or laughing. :D

Taking pictures, now that's another story. I really try to avoid taking pictures. I never take good pictures wiht braces or without. I am totally unphotogenic but I guess I wouldn't try to smile big but I wouldn't try to hide my teeth when smiling either.

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Dodger(UK)

#15 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Like most people have said. Pre-braces, tried my hardest not to show any teeth when I smiled. As soon as the braces started to work their magic, I became less reserved, and started to smile more naturally.