Braces in College

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yiiiikes

#16 Post by yiiiikes »

i will be in college next year with braces, as I am a senior in high school and I have only had them on for 3 months. Some days it will bother me a little, but most of the time all I can think about is how happy I will be when they come off and my smile looks good!

Marguerite

#17 Post by Marguerite »

Getting braces made me feel rather left-out and strange, but it is a LOT better than having crooked teeth. Sometimes it seems like all my friends and all the girls I meet have long, shiny hair, perfect white teeth, and expensive everything so it is hard not to feel bad. But after I got my braces I started to look closer and it occurred to me that their teeth are not as "perfect" as I thought, especially people who stopped wearing their retainers when they were 14 or 15. But I also think if you are cute without braces, you will definately stay cute once you get them on. It is only a few years and then you will have that lovely smile you've always dreamed of!

alexa

#18 Post by alexa »

I got my braces on last March and graduated in May, so I had braces for most of my final semester of college.

No one ever said anything or acted any differently. I had a good laugh with my portfolio group though, as I had missed that class twice due to extraction appts and the flu during the first couple of weeks, and then when I came in /finally/, I was asked a question and I tried to talk, but I had just gotten my braces in and was lisping on every word I said. Essentially, I started my comment and then stopped and said, "Wow...I can't talk with these things for the life of me!" We all laughed and that was it.

It was no big deal at all.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

dentalhygiene2007

#19 Post by dentalhygiene2007 »

I just got my braces on about a month aog. I am a 21 year old college student. I am a Dental Hygiene student so I kinda got a break from all of the comments. People in my class actually think its cool that I have braces! Lucky me! Before I got my braces on, I was very nervous. I had the same thoughts like you have. But truthfully, NOBODY has made any rude comments or even questioned me about them without me bringing it up. Most people are curious about them and have many questions to ask once they get started. They all seem to say the same thing....they would
love to have braces but cant afford them. So, in a way, they are kinda jealous!! It will be over before I know it!! Good Luck!!

S_Ranger

#20 Post by S_Ranger »

Alright, reality time. People don't care, it's about your attitude. If you hold back your smile when something funny happens and your around ppl, then your self esteem is gonna go down. They know you got braces, quit hiding and start flashing. When it comes to girls, IDK, I have a baby face but when these stuck up girls I'm attracted to talk to me, they rather talk to my friend. :cry: Older chicks, love me.