Few Qustions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShortyRocK

Few Qustions

#1 Post by ShortyRocK »

Hey I'm almost 14 and I'm in 8th grade i have a gap in my two front teeth and my lower teeth have a few crooked its nothin major at all and my orthodontist said i have very bad over-bite he told be $4800 for top and bottom.Alot of my friends are talking about just getting there braces off now and my orthodontist said i could get a retainer to fix the gaps so my qustions are

Are Ceramic Braces more money then typical metal?

How much do Retainers go for top and bottom?

Is it worth just going for a Retainer?

Will my teeth stay in place with just a Retainer?

Am i beening over priced with $4800 for top and bottom braces?

My family doesnt have any dental insurance so are there plans for people who are getting braces that arent too much?

My orthodontist said invisalign is for people 18 and older and is $6000 for top and bottom isnt that crazy?

Is getting only the top stupid?

thanks for your time and merry christmas :D

ShortyRocK

Re: Few Qustions

#2 Post by ShortyRocK »

Also i heard Ceramics break easy and stain?

and last one if i dont have really bad teeth how long will it take to keep on?

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

Hi Shorty. :) Its great that you are researching so much and really taking an interest- it shows that you are very mature.

I cant answer all your questions, but I can tell you that I paid $5400 (without ortho insurance) for top and bottoms ( metal) and yes, typically the ceramic are more. ( $500 more at the office that I go to) Also at my office adults are a bit more than younger patients.

Your parents can check the area you live, Dental schools are a good affordable place to go for braces, or maybe a "chain" would be less than a private office. Maybe you can google "orthodontic insurance" and see if there is anything in your area?

I dont have ceramics but I do know that they dont stain, the ligs do however. ( they are the rubber rings that go over the bracket and hold the wire on) they get changed every 6 weeks or so, or better yet, get colors and that wont be a problem at all :)

I am not familiar with the retainer to close gaps but a good thing to do is to see more than one ortho and get several opinions. It is pretty expencive, and you want to make sure your going to someone that you trust and have treatment that you feel comfortable with.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas to you too!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

ShortyRocK

#4 Post by ShortyRocK »

I am thinking of maybe retainers or only getting the top done (ceramic) but price is a big issue with this.The office I went to was a private office.My dad may look into a plan but one thing is trying to prove to him i need braces he already put two kids threw braces so he knows what he will be paying.I really want to hurry it up cause i would want them off as fast as possible.After christmas i will be going back to my orthodontist I hope so i will see what prices he says and whats best.

KJM

#5 Post by KJM »

I really want to hurry it up cause i would want them off as fast as possible.
You sound just like my daughter. LOL She is also in 8th grade and is bugging me to get hers on ASAP. I tell her not to worry, she will get them on and off before she is my age ( I am 35! LOL)

I know that your in a hurry to get things moving, but dont settle for something faster/or only doing 1/2 the job b/c its cheaper. Your teeth (hopefully) will last a lifetime. $4800 seems like a lot, but most people have used cars that cost more than that ( and only last a few years or so)
Take it from us "old" people, its much faster and better to do it now while your young if you can. :) Good Luck!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

ShortyRock,

I suggest that you go to our main site, www.ArchWired.com, and you will find the answers to all of your questions.

But anyway basically here are your answers:

$5,000 is the average for a full 2-year treatment and usually includes the retainers at the end.

Yes, ceramics are more expensive than metal.

The ligatures (little rubber bands) that hold the ceramic (or metal) brackets in place stain, NOT the brackets themselves. The ceramic brackets do not usually break but can be harder to remove at the end of treatment.

A retainer might be able to fix your gap, but you'll probably be happier with the long-term results if you got the full braces treatment instead. I'm sure you don't want to go through this again as an adult, do you?

Invisalign tends to be more expensive than regular braces. Have you considered lingual braces (behind the teeth)?

As far as getting "only the top done" that is up to your orthodontist. Most people think that braces are only about how your teeth look, but they are also about how your bite functions. If your top and bottom teeth don't meet properly you will be in for much bigger problems. So if your ortho is recommending both top and bottom, you must listen to him because he's telling you this to ensure that your bite doesn't get messed up (the way your top and bottom teeth meet).

As far as dental insurance, you can check out DentalPlans.com (there's a link on the main ArchWired page) or some other similar dental plan sites on the web. These aren't actual insurance plans, but discount plans set up with orthos around the country. I agree that perhaps a local dental school might be able to help you as well, so check into that.

As far as "wanting them off as fast as possible," I'm asking you to please remember that things take time. There ARE guys your age with braces and believe me, girls won't avoid you because of it. My own daughter probably won't get her braces until she's about your age because her adult teeth are coming in really slowly. You're not alone. Don't rush your treatment. In the long run you'll be happier with the results if you do what your orthodontist recommends.

FYI, the money isn't paid for all at once. Your parents would put down about $1,500 at first, then pay the rest in monthly installments. These costs might not cover the x-rays, however. But, the x-rays might be covered under your parents' medical insurance.

Please encourage your parents to visit ArchWired.com to get the lowdown on the whole braces thing. And feel free to ask any questions you want here on the forum.

Best of luck to you!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

ShortyRocK

#7 Post by ShortyRocK »

Thanks alot I will be going back to the orthodontist after christmas and will see whats best for me.I also need to prove to my dad i need them when ever i bring up the word braces he says there too expensive and doesnt want to know anything about them.

bracedintx

#8 Post by bracedintx »

Hi ShortyRock,
Consider this: I got my braces off at 14. Then, at 24 I felt I had an overbite so I went to a new orthdontist (my last one had retired). He suggested full braces but I didn't want to spend the money or get braces in grad school. So I had an expanding upper retainer.
Now, at 30, my bite is completely out of alignment and I have jaw pain and swallowing problems. Because I didn't fix the problem properly my teeth don't line up well. So I have a mouth full of metal for the second time, though I could have avoided it if I had listened to my second ortho in my 20s.
Also, you haven't gotten your wisdom teeth yet, so if you just do something small you could run into problems when they come in (that's why my first treatment was unsuccessful).

I know it's hard to be in braces. Talk to your friends and parents. I'm sure you'll make the chocie that's right for you :)
self-ligating metal brackets all around

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

Thanks alot I will be going back to the orthodontist after christmas and will see whats best for me.I also need to prove to my dad i need them when ever i bring up the word braces he says there too expensive and doesnt want to know anything about them.
Let your dad know that time is everying. Like I've said before, there are things that can be done with your teeth now that can't be done later. If they can it is often longer, more complicated and costs more. What could have been a very simple $1500 dollar treatment when I was 14 is now going to cost me up to $8,000.

- Best of Luck -

missing_tooth

#10 Post by missing_tooth »

** Deleted, accidental double post **

ShortyRocK

#11 Post by ShortyRocK »

Yeah I'm going to have a talk with him I am thinking of ceramics on top and then nothing with the bottom and then when the ceramics come off get a Retainer for top and bottom.I dont think you really see the bottom teeth as much and i have maybe 3 or 4 teeth out of place im pretty sure a retainer can fix that after.

NotBob1

#12 Post by NotBob1 »

ShortyRock:
If you can, just do it right the first time and get it over with. I am yet another similar to Bracedintx. 36, second time in braces, third time working with an orthodontist. If I had just done everything I was supposed to do way back when I was 14 I wouldn't be on this message board right now!! (No offense, guys....) Unfortunately, I can't go back and neither can you.

I can see how your Dad does not want to spend 5k, but it really is important and with the payments spread out, it's not too hard to pull off with some creative budgeting and a few "extras" removed from the monthly expenses. Also, it will be cheaper to do it now rather than when you are 36. It will probably be a $10,000.00 average treatment cost by then and likely even more.

Anyway, do the best you can with your Dad, let him know that you really don't want to do this as an adult especially since it can mean surgery since your bones are set. Now we're talking alot of money....Maybe print off a few of the posts from adults (like me) that are kicking themselves for not getting things done right when we were younger.

Good job on checking out your options and getting feedback from others! Take care....
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

ShortyRocK

#13 Post by ShortyRocK »

Thanks I might have to wait a few months we have to see how were going to pay for it and what the plans are I really like the idea of ceramics on top what im wondering is if i only do the top can i ahve a retainer on the bottom while i have ceramics on top or do i have to wait after I get off the tops to get a retainer for the bottom.I have minor spaces on the bottom and maybe more teeth with come in im sure a retainer can work it might be longer though.I may even look into working around the home for free dad will know I want the braces that bad and will work for them.I most likely will get them its just a matter of waiting for my dad to figure out how he will pay for it.