Travel with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

elly123

Travel with braces

#1 Post by elly123 »

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a loooong time (I will have you know that's a good thing- it means I am pain free!) but I have thought of a new question:

This summer I will be travelling for about a month. It is a special tour, and I am not allowed to bring many toiletries (there's camping so they have to fit in a little case). I have done this before...just never with BRACES :? ! Do they make travel size fluorides? There is no way I can bring that giant bottle with me...especially since it's going to leak the way my suitcase will get thrown around. Any ideas? Should I just talk to my orthodontist? Will he be mad that I may have to stop using fluoride & continue with minimal flossing for a month??? Ahhhh

Thanks in advance for any responses
elly

elly123

#2 Post by elly123 »

Whoa thank you for the quick response! I'm going to go check it out :)

Any fluoride suggestions?

Chr1ssy711

#3 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

as long as your in the US your local drug store or grocery store should have a travel section in the toiletries section. they have the foldable toothbrushes, and small floss and small mouth wash, and shampoo, conditioner, body wash everything, and they're always soo cute and little!!
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

Count out as many fluorides as you need, and put them in a smaller bottle.

Ask your ortho if there are stronger products that you could take diluted (eg a mouthwash concentrate or something).

Dulcinea

#5 Post by Dulcinea »

I spent a month in Mississippi helping with hurricane recovery. My biggest worry was something going wrong with my braces and not having the resources to take care of the problem. I took one of the cheapy Oral B power toothbrushes with extra batteries, flouride rinse and my floss and floss threaders. The only problem I had was a tooth brush bristle detaching from my brush and getting lodged in a bracket. I found someone with a leatherman tool and pulled it out.

I made an appointment to have my teeth cleaned as soon as I got back. That made me feel better.

nimo

#6 Post by nimo »

I don't do tons of traveling, but I fly every year, and we're going to the big island (I live in Hawaii on Oahu) two days after I get my braces put on. We won't be out in the wilderness or anything, but I'm definitely wondering how much braces are going to interfere with my vacation time.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008