Water pik question!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OceanGirl

Water pik question!

#1 Post by OceanGirl »

I've been thinking about getting a waterpic but I am still not sure if it would be worth it. I am only going to have braces for another 6 months or so. Is a water pik something I'd use after my braces come off? Please help me make a decision soon! I also have a permanent bite blocker behind my top front teeth. Would a waterpic be able to clean out any food that gets stuck under there?
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on
Expander on top, TMJ retainer on bottom

Dec 17 2005
Expander and retainer out
Braces on bottom, bite blocker on top

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Debanding will be Sept 2007.. FINALLY

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I have had my braces for a week today and my ortho sold me a waterpik for $20.00. I like mine a lot, I have a attachment for massaging my gums and it seems to help. I have been using it 2-3 times a day and really thinks it helps keep my teeth in the back clean.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Kittysopretty

#3 Post by Kittysopretty »

My ortho gave me an awesome water pik and I use it a lot although I don't see how this is any more beneficial than brushing alone :-}

bckydgardnr

#4 Post by bckydgardnr »

I bought a water pik within the first week of getting my braces. I couldnt live without it! I use mine at least once per day. I think it really helps to keep everything squeaky clean! :-#)
gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

felicity_and_reece_mommie

#5 Post by felicity_and_reece_mommie »

I have a waterpic and I love it. I won't get braces until Jan. 9th but I use it now and it is awesome. It gets in places that my toothbrush can't. I haven't asked the ortho about waterpics yet but my dentist always tells people that they need to get one (I work for a dentist). So yes I think that you could benefit from it after you get your braces off ecspecially if you are going to have a perment retainer.

Metal Mouth Guy

#6 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

I'll probably go back to flossing once it's "easy" again. But can't imagine life without a waterpick. Flossing is just way too much work right now and the waterpick has been an excellent fall back. Dentist and Ortho are pleased with the level of oral hygiene despite the relative lack of flossing.

MMG

LoobyLou

#7 Post by LoobyLou »

I just bought a waterpik and used it for the first time today. Though it scared the life out of me and I dribbled water all down my top it was really effective at dislodging bits of food in my teeth and is much easier than trying to floss with powerchains!!

I recommend... :lol:
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

OceanGirl

#8 Post by OceanGirl »

I broke down and got my waterpik! Wow what a difference. Its amazing the bits of food that get dislodged even after I brush. The first time I tried it was a big funny though. I filled it up, leaned over the sink, turned it on and WHOOSH the ceiling got sprayed with the water LOL. I also soaked the walls and my face before I finished. The next time I tried it I leaned over the bathtub. Now that I am used to it I can do it in the sink again without any major messes. I purchased the recharable cordless model. My only complaint with it is that the water goes pretty quickly and I have to refill it at least once more to feel like I'm getting a good cleaning. I also put some mouthwash in with the water as well. It really makes my mouth feel a lot cleaner.
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on

Dec 17 2005

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!

Marzipan

#9 Post by Marzipan »

My tech said I don't really need a waterpik. She said just brush really well - she gave me a little bitty kiddy toothbrush to get in the tight corners and the back teeth - and said thorough brushing will do amazing things. Which is true, of course.

Even so - I'm going to buy a waterpik tonight!

Having had brackets for only 2 weeks, as my teeth move, I find sometimes I simply can't get the floss in between certain teeth. Plus - talk about annoying and difficult using the threaders.

Lyn

#10 Post by Lyn »

I bought myself a waterpik last week . . . though I still haven't mastered it yet. What do you do with all that water in your mouth. It's like WHOA - turn off the machine, spit - and repeat 15 times.....

Is there an easier way??? :roll:

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

OceanGirl

#11 Post by OceanGirl »

Lyn wrote:I bought myself a waterpik last week . . . though I still haven't mastered it yet. What do you do with all that water in your mouth. It's like WHOA - turn off the machine, spit - and repeat 15 times.....

Is there an easier way??? :roll:

:pinkbraces:

All I do now is lean over the sink with my mouth half open and let the water flow out. When it gets too much for my mouth I just turn it off, spit, turn it back on and way to go again. I usually don't have to turn it off much as most of it spills out by leaning over the sink.
Feb 4 2005
Top braces on

Dec 17 2005

Septermber 8 2006
Bite blocker off!!!