Invisible Ratainer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

swellen

#16 Post by swellen »

mtbrncofn wrote:Wow, that seems spendy for a bit of plastic.
Well... it's a bit of plastic that's holding your $5,000 investment in place!

mtbrncofn

#17 Post by mtbrncofn »

True. Mine were only $4,000 though. ;) I do think this is something I will ask my ortho about. This whole grinding thing has got me worried.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

dena

#18 Post by dena »

i haven't seen anyone with a retainer that wasn't clear since high school (8 years ago...) I take that back--I've seen one. But, I didn't know they made retainers that weren't clear anymore.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

S_Ranger

#19 Post by S_Ranger »

wore my clear retainer faithfully every day, all night for 1 1/2 years. Some time down the road I noticed my gaps coming back and my teeth looking relapsed. I have braces again, I had them before for 4 months. ANd i'm gonna get the metal one this time.

mtbrncofn

#20 Post by mtbrncofn »

S_Ranger wrote:wore my clear retainer faithfully every day, all night for 1 1/2 years. Some time down the road I noticed my gaps coming back and my teeth looking relapsed. I have braces again, I had them before for 4 months. ANd i'm gonna get the metal one this time.
Good Lord, that scares the crap out of me when I hear people say that. For all you people that were faithful with the retainers and had relapses, did you have to pay for your braces all over again?

Also, for Ranger: do you have any permanent retainer bars put in?
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Phantom

#21 Post by Phantom »

I've understand that those normal retainers allow user to eat with them on, can this clear retainer do the same? Or do i have to take them out whenever i eat, or are they meant to be put on only @ nite and during the day normal retainer had to be used?

mackenzie

#22 Post by mackenzie »

Phantom,
The clear retainer can be used during the day. That's one of the main benefits to it is that its clear. And I don't think you're supposed to eat with any retainer except permanent bonded ones. Especialy don't drink anything hot with a retainer in because the heat can warp it.

Phantom

#23 Post by Phantom »

Cool... thanks for the info...
I'm actually intending to get the invisible retainers. I think they can last a lifetime, ya?

swellen

#24 Post by swellen »

Phantom wrote:I'm actually intending to get the invisible retainers. I think they can last a lifetime, ya?
If you don't grind your teeth in your sleep and don't absent-mindedly chew on it during the day while you're thinking or as you speak, then yes. If you do any of those things you're likely to wear it down eventually. If you grind your teeth at night you'll probably chew a hole in it within a year or 18 months.

weird_wired

#25 Post by weird_wired »

mtbrncofn wrote:
S_Ranger wrote:wore my clear retainer faithfully every day, all night for 1 1/2 years. Some time down the road I noticed my gaps coming back and my teeth looking relapsed. I have braces again, I had them before for 4 months. ANd i'm gonna get the metal one this time.
Good Lord, that scares the crap out of me when I hear people say that. For all you people that were faithful with the retainers and had relapses, did you have to pay for your braces all over again?

Also, for Ranger: do you have any permanent retainer bars put in?
It scares me too.

I'm wondering if s_ranger's widsom teeth came down after her/his initial treatment, and that partially caused the relapse?

TeenQueen

#26 Post by TeenQueen »

Okay now I am nervous about the clear retainers because I am supposed to get them on the top and the metal ones on the bottom. I think I do grind my teeth but my ortho said the retainer was supposed to help with that, he said nothing about chewing a hole in it......"sigh" Well I guess I have quite a few questions for the ortho when I see him next week.