Who has white wire vs. metal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lyn

Who has white wire vs. metal?

#1 Post by Lyn »

Hello!!

I was wondering how many people have a "white" wire and how many have the "metal" one.

I have had the "white" wire on top since July (with my ceramics(top) - - - and it tends to flake/chip before my next adjustment. I am trying to decide if I should have them put on a metal one next time, which will match my metal one on the bottom. My appt. is on next Tues.1/3

What do you think????

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

dena

#2 Post by dena »

Lyn--what's the difference? Was it just aesthetics or is there supposed to be a functional difference, too?

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

calley03

#3 Post by calley03 »

Metal archwire was the only option at my orthos office.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Lyn

#4 Post by Lyn »

:computer:

I guess my ortho thought that with my age it would be a good blend, the white wire with the ceramics, who knows, he didn't even ask me. He just did it. And then with the metal lowers he said it would blend it as well??? :D

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

fins

#5 Post by fins »

You can get a metal wire and use white wire ties which I haven't seen flake.
fins

Kittysopretty

#6 Post by Kittysopretty »

I have clear brackets with the metal wire. I like it, no one even notices that I have braces and it actually, to me, looks like I am wearing a retainer.

Aradia252

#7 Post by Aradia252 »

I LOVE my white wire. I've been able to have one for 6 months, which has been a relief to me. I am dreading the day when I go in and they give me a metal wire. (I actually think at my adjustment tomorrow that I am going to get a metal one :x ). My wire chips after about 4 weeks, but I would rather have small chips than wear an all metal wire. I find that with the white wire, the braces are invisible from a couple feet away.

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

weird_wired

#8 Post by weird_wired »

I think my ortho was going to give me one on the second adjustment, but I had read about them chipping, so told him please not to worry and just give me the heaviest metal he could instead ;)

Chocoholic

#9 Post by Chocoholic »

I've always had a metal wire with my ceramics on top. No one notices at all, I really don't think it makes much of a difference.

To be honest I think aesthetics can have a lot to do with your attitude, if you don't notice it and don't bring attantion to it, why should anyone else?

Just a thought.

brandee987

#10 Post by brandee987 »

I have a metal wire... I am happy with it... I hardly get any comments on my braces...lol...sometimes I wish I would! :D
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

littleshaddies

#11 Post by littleshaddies »

My first wires were so thin silver. people were not able to see them unless I got very close to their faces. Now I have heavy metal wires, I notice them and the people I have told about my braces notice them too. most important thing is my teeth notice them as well. I have seen so much improvement since the heavy wires are in so I just simply forget that you can notice them more.
As for the view on the white wire that chips, bad enough to worry about ligs stains.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

weird_wired

#12 Post by weird_wired »

littleshaddies wrote:My first wires were so thin silver. people were not able to see them unless I got very close to their faces. Now I have heavy metal wires, I notice them and the people I have told about my braces notice them too. most important thing is my teeth notice them as well. I have seen so much improvement since the heavy wires are in so I just simply forget that you can notice them more.
As for the view on the white wire that chips, bad enough to worry about ligs stains.
This exactly mirrors my own experience! I have enough to do with worrying about the ligs staining, a metal wire - thick or thin - is fine by me.

violinist

white wire

#13 Post by violinist »

my friend/ guidence counciler has the clear ceramic braces on hner top row and she has the braided ties that braid like brade ties from one bracket to another and in some places over her archwire and her brackets are white her ties are white and so isnt the archwire.

smile2006

#14 Post by smile2006 »

Out of curiousity are they simply painted white or is it a heavier coating? I have ceramic and like the idea of the white wires. I asked about them at my ortho office and one of the asisstants said they don't use them because they chip and they aren't as strong. So maybe there is a point when no one with ceramics can use them :?:

I have had heavier wires for some time but recently got a very light wire on the top because of a high molar in the back that was finally tied in. I will say, the very thin wire is nearly invivisble.....quite a change.

lionfish

#15 Post by lionfish »

Lyn, I'm confused. Your ticker, etc. says that your braces came off 17 days ago and that you're now in retainers. What's the story here?

I've never had anything but metal wires on my ceramics; white wires simply weren't offered. The current wire is noticeable to me, particularly because it has bends in it. I'm sort of not fussed about it really.

A friend who recently had her braces removed (saw her last night, she looks fantastic and I'm SOOOOOOO envious!) had metal wires too and to moe they were quite discreet. So I guess we may notice it more on ourselves than we do on others.